Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
If one was to read this board, it seems like no one has an Optima with high miles that hasn't had an engine failure?

My questions , are these throw away cars after 100K.. Does anyone make it to 150K?. Or is that the 1 in a hundred chance.

Do the hybrids have better luck since their engine is being aided by the electric motors?

If this a Toyota board, the norm is 250K..

I'm not feeling the same about these Kia's?

Am I wrong?
I’m a bit late to the show here. Just recently bought my wife a new SUV since were expecting our 2nd baby and the 2013 Kia Optima was a pain for her to get our son in and out of. The back seat is very shallow. Other than that it’s a great car. I recently started using it to travel to and from work and I manage a crew of guys on the railroad so I’m in it a good 7-8 hours a day between the commute and the riding around on gravel roads. It’s about 120 miles a day. Currently it’s sitting at 149,350 miles and the only thing ever changed was some front struts and steering linkage , tires, and 1 battery about 6 months back. I feel confident it has atleast another 50k left to go.
2013 Kia Optima GDI non turbo model. 2.4 liter if I’m not mistaken.

·
Registered
2013 Optima
5 Posts
While I still wouldn't consider my car truly "high mileage", I've got a 2013 Optima SX with 113k miles and I've had no major issues. My only real complaint is my batteries seem to die every 2-3 years but it might just be the heat (Houston). I fully expect to get 200k without a problem and I'm hoping to get even more than that because I really do like the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess I'm very fortunate with my 2012 Optima. It has 651,000 and still going strong. No major repair issues, just the usual brakes, alternator and maintenance stuff. Interior looks almost new, no rips, tears or other issues, could use a good cleaning. Exterior looks like a golf ball due to a couple of bad hail storms. Front bumper cover paint is peeling. My Sirius radio just quit working, looks like it dropped all it's software. I love this car, it had been super reliable and a real workhorse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not an Optima but my 2.4 theta Rondo has 127,000 reliable miles. Met another guy driving a 2.4 Rondo with 260,000 miles and he said everything was original. I questioned “everything?” He said “everything……everything was original no parts replaced”.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Again, Im trying to ascertain if Optimas have some reliability as they grow older. No one would even question a Honda or Toyota with 150K on it.. I just don't hear of Optima owners with higher mileage cars. Are they out there?
Optima can go 300,000 like a Toyota you just don't know look at a optima look at how they are made and designed way better then most all other cars . I was a Toyota master the for 38 year got my 2012 optima 4 months ago and love this car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not an Optima but my 2.4 theta Rondo has 127,000 reliable miles. Met another guy driving a 2.4 Rondo with 260,000 miles and he said everything was original. I questioned “everything?” He said “everything……everything was original no parts replaced”.
About the 260,000 miles on all original equipment. I would never have the nerve to go that long without replacing the alternator, serpentine pulleys and water pump first and probably have a spare crankshaft & camshaft sensor in my on board tool box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 170k on 2012 2.0t with the Thea II engine. never been replaced. second owner had her since 2016 when she had 30k on her. we have had very mild issues. suspension, brake caliper locked up, tires, oil changes and waste gate actuator. Drover her from Massachusetts to Kansas at least 3 times, Drove her from Mass. to Texas and i pick my kids up in oklahoma a few times a month. she has been good to me. I feel like scheduled maintenance is key to keeping her going. I would like her to be the first Thea II to make it to 1Million. But that probably wont happen lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
If one was to read this board, it seems like no one has an Optima with high miles that hasn't had an engine failure?
شقق للبيع في اسطنبول
My questions , are these throw away cars after 100K.. Does anyone make it to 150K?. Or is that the 1 in a hundred chance.

Do the hybrids have better luck since their engine is being aided by the electric motors?

Am I wrong?
Original motor, runs like new with NO issues at all yet.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,293 Posts
As this has been going on for almost a year, thought I'd reply, but purchasing one of these cars is like playing Russian Roulette. Some continue with no major problems but 15-20% will have an engine replaced because of seizure, while countless others with these junk engines will gobble up oil, just the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
77 Posts

Am I wrong?
I have 166,000 on my 2014 EX. It burns a good amount of oil as most of these engines tend to do with age. (Well at least that seems to be the consensus). Other than that no major issues at all... Has been well maintained and all updates done
so....if and when it decides to kick the bucket hopefully it will be covered.. (Crossing fingers).. As the miles keep racking up I get more nervous that something is about to happen but it keeps chugging along... Good Luck

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
77 Posts
Just turned 160K on my 2013 Optima EX, BUT on engine #2. Engine #1 was replaced at 130K (under warranty) due to losing 1qt oil every 800 miles.
I'm losing about the same or worse. I approached Kia about it and they said oil consumption not part of the recall. It seems like in the past people were getting engines replaced for this but now they are fighting it ...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Am I wrong?
My 2013 optima just passed 300000 and is still running great.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,293 Posts
As this continues, thought I'd give my repairs, '11 2.0T now 240,000 miles, and I'll leave out maintenance items:

Turbo oil feed line
Headlight switch/stalk-Fogs not working
R/R door lock
Stuck caliper slider
Used A/C compressor
Stabilizer end links
Both front wheel bearings
R/S axle-C/V boot split
Steering coupler
A/T temp sensor
R/L outer tie rod ends
4 Calipers, brackets, hardware, pads, rotors (stuck piston)
Used navigation/receiver unit
Oil consumption test
New engine installed
A/C control valve
Replace L/S mirror-heater kaput
Used navigation/receiver unit-Another
Lower control arms
Wastegate actuator
Rear lower control arms, rear lateral links (all had to be cut out-rusted solid)
Inner tie rod ends
Mufflers, both rusted out
Water leaking into trunk-Body seam top left
Alternator and replace 3 pulleys
In tank fuel pump
Used A/C compressor
Replace L/S mirror-Heater kaput again

I'm certain more to come, but glad I could do all the work myself, if not, I'd be in the poor house.

Happy Thanksgiving

21 - 38 of 38 Posts