Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’ve got an issue with the car, it’s got an external wastegate, tune, intake, and catless exhaust. The tune is a 93 octane tune and “makes 350-ish wheel”. The boost on top end is usually around 20-28 psi.

My problem is when i step on it, the boost goes up but it feels like the car isn’t transferring the power to the wheels. It feels like a boost leak or something. It doesn’t feel like I’m making 350 at all.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
243 Posts
I'd bet you aren't making 350ish either. My car made 234hp stock and 272hp with the LAP3 Uncle Chip on the 93 setting. I run it on the 91 setting, where it doesn't ping at the shifts, and it makes 262hp. The 20-28psi you mention is a HUGE range. My car made 16.5psi stock, 21psi on the 91 setting and 22.6psi on the 93 setting. Below ~4800rpm, the torque converter isn't locked either, so it can flash the converter to a higher RPM with less power being delivered until lockup occurs as well.

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not on lap3, i also have an external wastegate mod so I’m making every bit of 28 psi.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL 2nd engine @ 121k
178 Posts
If power is not what is should be, why not take it where the work was done or did you do it? CEL codes?
Maybe trans is slipping?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
243 Posts
What has been done to the car to allow it to make more boost than stock? What have you done to adjust the fueling for this extra boost? What other mods are on the car? Who did the work and who told you it would make 350whp? Has it been on a dyno?

Just using a manual wastegate to increase boost will not make more power. The ECM will see that extra boost and try to control it by setting codes, turning down the WG duty cycle, reducing blade angle and removing timing, all of which pull power.

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was dyno tuned by Ksr performance.

What has been done to the car to allow it to make more boost than stock? What have you done to adjust the fueling for this extra boost? What other mods are on the car? Who did the work and who told you it would make 350whp? Has it been on a dyno?

Just using a manual wastegate to increase boost will not make more power. The ECM will see that extra boost and try to control it by setting codes, turning down the WG duty cycle, reducing blade angle and removing timing, all of which pull power.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
243 Posts
Not familiar with the other one...but if they did the work, take the car to them. Did they dyno it to show you the before and after power?

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not familiar with the other one...but if they did the work, take the car to them. Did they dyno it to show you the before and after power?
It’s a package with the wg mod, it comes with a tune that he made on the dyno.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
243 Posts
So it's a tune and a WG mod? Sorry man, I just can't believe those two things make 100+whp gain. My car made 234whp stock. No way it's gonna make 350whp (116whp gain) with a WG mod and tune. I found their website, and the tune page that shows the 350hp, but it doesn't say what other parts were on the car to make that much power. I also don't see a dyno graph of what the car made before that modification (a baseline).

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it's a tune and a WG mod? Sorry man, I just can't believe those two things make 100+whp gain. My car made 234whp stock. No way it's gonna make 350whp (116whp gain) with a WG mod and tune. I found their website, and the tune page that shows the 350hp, but it doesn't say what other parts were on the car to make that much power. I also don't see a dyno graph of what the car made before that modification (a baseline).
Lap3 has a wastegate mod and tune package that makes 320 on 93, Ksr made my tune more aggressive and i have several other performance mods.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,500 Posts
With any tune, you should have a top end boost PSI you hit to achieve your top end numbers. Like other have said here, you should find a local dyno and run it on there in gear 4, asking for the files thereafter. The range of 20-28 is wide, something is amiss with those numbers right there. I would also suggest an aftermarket midpipe and intercooler as both will help. GL

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With any tune, you should have a top end boost PSI you hit to achieve your top end numbers. Like other have said here, you should find a local dyno and run it on there in gear 4, asking for the files thereafter. The range of 20-28 is wide, something is amiss with those numbers right there. I would also suggest an aftermarket midpipe and intercooler as both will help. GL
Thanks i have a fmic, Dow pipe and catless exhaust. As soon as change my wastegate dump to a recirculating one, I’m going to run a lower wastegate spring and hit the dyno. Cause i apparently don’t have a tuned psi limit, the highest I’ve hit was 30.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts