Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL (Normandy SR2)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time lurker,first time poster.
So I've got a weird one. I can't see very well in the dark so I figured my oem hids on my optima sxl 2013 were faded. I replaced the hid on both sides but guess what? The passenger side projector reflector is burned out. I can see bits of that charred chrome all over the inside.

Being curious I pulled some screws and tried to take that reflector cup out to see how bad the damage is. Spoiler, you can't. Or if you can I don't know how to angle it out the back. Either way after a lot of messing about I got the thing back where it should be sans a screw.

So here's what I'm thinking. I need to replace the headlamp assembly, and being an sxl with oem hid the assy is way up there in price.
I'm thinking of swapping the OEM hid assembly for a set of oem halogen ones and pop some led lights in the projector. But I don't know a few things, how much modding and splicing do I have to do? Or is the OEM hid ballast still plug into a normal halogen bulb end?

My other idea is getting a wrecked passenger healamp assembly and taking the projector mechanism out and swapping it. But I didn't take a close enough look to see if I have to bake the lights.

Any tips?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,699 Posts
Kia has a free replacement for the 2011-2013 headlamps in a letter that was published @ June this year.
I keep the letter in the glove box, but the car is at the dealership waiting for a new engine, so I don't have immediate access, but if you get in a jam, let me know and I can get it albeit 30 miles away, but always in the area.
Maybe you can save a few bucks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, you're in my area? I don't think I ever got a letter for headlamps. I just scheduled service for my Kia as well. I think it was your thread I saw and you mentioned the oil consumption. Asked the dealer about the headlights but she said nothing was coming up for my car.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,325 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Kgoto

Congrats on getting your 2013 Optima, and sorry to hear about the issue you're having.

As mentioned, Kia is taking care of this under warranty for certain year models.

I would definitely check with your local Kia dealer, and let them know you were informed about a TSB on this.

They should take care of it for you. If not, please reach out, and we can go over the options you have.

-David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh hi! Actually k5 optima store was my first stop. But over 1k for a set of really slick headlight assemblies is just not something I can do at this point, otherwise that's exactly what I had in mind. I'll see if I can find the tsb. But no warranty mention was made. I'm guessing tsb isn't technically warranty?

Hopefully they honor it. Like I said, somehow there are some screws that vanished into thin air due to... Someone who worked on it in a panic.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,699 Posts
Call Kia 1-800-333-4542, tell them you need new headlights and misplaced the letter indicating free replacement for the '11-'13 Optima.
They're available M/F 5AM-6PM PST or 8AM-9PM EST if my math is correct.

If any problem, let me know and I can get the letter.

I'm in Jersey, car is at dealership in PA.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,325 Posts
Oh hi! Actually k5 optima store was my first stop. But over 1k for a set of really slick headlight assemblies is just not something I can do at this point, otherwise that's exactly what I had in mind. I'll see if I can find the tsb. But no warranty mention was made. I'm guessing tsb isn't technically warranty?

Hopefully they honor it. Like I said, somehow there are some screws that vanished into thin air due to... Someone who worked on it in a panic.
Ahh awesome, glad you had a chance to checkout our site.

The ones we sell are not the US spec Optima lights, but rather the KDM Spec Dual Projector lights. So they have (2) projectors instead of (1) and they also have clear corners, and the Daytime Running Light LED strip built into them as well. However, yes the cost of them is very high due to this. (Still less money than ordering the US spec ones from your Kia dealer though) ;)

Hopefully Kia gets you taken care of though.

Call Kia 1-800-333-4542, tell them you need new headlights and misplaced the letter indicating free replacement for the '11-'13 Optima.
They're available M/F 5AM-6PM PST or 8AM-9PM EST if my math is correct.

If any problem, let me know and I can get the letter.

I'm in Jersey, car is at dealership in PA.
I agree, this is what I would recommend as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh nice. Ok that works. I'll try to call them tomorrow. Hopefully they can check the dealer? Don't think they will have the letter in my mail by the time sat rolls around.

Yeah I like the store! If I had more money I'd be getting those eyelines, the led kit for turn signals, already have the badging. Oh and the bumper sequential led. But alas, it's a lot of dosh.

I'll let you guys know how that goes. And whether my engine is gonna explode lol.

But I take it I can't just swap the hid stock headlamps for non hid ones without serious wiring work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting it! Been stuck in IT **** so couldn't get a call out. Yep looks exactly what I see myself. I'll mentioned it to the dealership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So update time. I got the oil changed so we can do the consumption test. And talked about the tsb for the headlights and showed them the linked PDF. Guess what? They can replace the headlight. If I pay them the 1.something k for a (yes, just one. Not two) new headlamp assembly... so I'm not happy with that. Oh and they didn't even look at the heated seat. So yeah. Guess I'll just drive with one light until I can find another HID one.

How annoying are these headlamps to bake to get the lens off? I may be better off baking them and swapping out the projector reflector rather than buying a brand new one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What the heck! why are they charging you if there’s a bulletin on them? I baked one of mine apart the other day. Relatively easy did 220 degrees for 15 min I think. The reflector bucket was total trash when I took it out. I’m wanting to have them replaced with the letter too but not understanding why they are asking you to pay for that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What the heck! why are they charging you if there’s a bulletin on them? I baked one of mine apart the other day. Relatively easy did 220 degrees for 15 min I think. The reflector bucket was total trash when I took it out. I’m wanting to have them replaced with the letter too but not understanding why they are asking you to pay for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right? So I did call them like it was suggested. Technically speaking no my car wasn't part of the headlamp tsb. Which is why they weren't going to cover. However, this isn't my first so the rep let me know that they are willing to replace the headlamp for me under a good will program. I'm happy, but I want to see it in writing. Kia will call the dealer tomorrow and arrange something but yeah. It turns out that kia will take care of me. So I'm glad.

See that's what i thought mine look like too! I was actually going to schedule a time to yank em and bake once I grabbed one from a junk yard. But I guess now I don't have to. Idk, maybe I got lucky. But we shall see.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
2 Posts
Kia has a free replacement for the 2011-2013 headlamps in a letter that was published @ June this year.
I keep the letter in the glove box, but the car is at the dealership waiting for a new engine, so I don't have immediate access, but if you get in a jam, let me know and I can get it albeit 30 miles away, but always in the area.
Maybe you can save a few bucks!
I'm having the same dim headlight issue on my 2012 Kia Optima EX. I called the dealership and Kia US and they denied there being any TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and said I would have to pay for the replacements. If you could be so kind as to send me a copy of that letter it would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,420 Posts
I'm having the same dim headlight issue on my 2012 Kia Optima EX. I called the dealership and Kia US and they denied there being any TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and said I would have to pay for the replacements. If you could be so kind as to send me a copy of that letter it would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Greek, look at post #10 right above from thread and it’s posted by Tonester. Hopefully that’s the TSB that you’re looking for!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, the new light is in and they swapped it out. All I had to do is pay for the labor to install it which was still kinda high (180). Pretty happy with being able to see the road. All that I have to do now is to adjust the lights so I can see more than a car length infront of me with the cutoff and swap the side markers to led. The difference between the new lamp and the old one in terms of side markers is pretty noticeable. So I'm pretty happy, I looked at the receipt and I'm pretty sure I saw warranty part. So I don't know if they had to do some shenanigans but pretty pleased.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
630 Posts
People need to understand that the dealer is not absolutely required/obligated to fix an issue for free (i.e., at no cost to you) simply because a TSB exists for it; yes they are expected to fix it at no cost if your car is under warranty (and if the TSB does apply to your specific MY/make car AND the issue is present) but if your car is out of warranty then all bets are off. Only if the issue is covered under an official RECALL would the dealer then be required to correct the issue at no cost to you regardless of warranty status.

Note--just because a TSB exists that may cover your vehicle doesn't mean you can insist that the dealer fix the issue described in the TSB regardless even if your vehicle doesn't exhibit the symptoms described in the TSB. Example--you cannot use the existence of the headlight flaking TSB as justification to force the dealer to swap out your headlight housing for the flaking issue if your headlight housing shows NO signs of flaking; the dealer may do it under such circumstances as a good-will gesture and/or simply being proactive but again, they are under no obligation to do so.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts