Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have a 2013 Optima SXL with factory HIDs. I can get to the bulb but can't unplug the connector from the base of it. Is the some magical way to stand, special conjuring that needs to chanted, a special tool need?

I did read thru a lot of similar topics and see that this is a huge PITA, but didn't specify find an answer to this.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,181 Posts
Did you try to remove the connector while the bulb remains installed inside the housing?

I recall just pulling out the bulb while the cable is connected, then disconnecting the cable using two hands and pulling hard on the cable connector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try to remove the connector while the bulb remains installed inside the housing?

I recall just pulling out the bulb while the cable is connected, then disconnecting the cable using two hands and pulling hard on the cable connector.
Yes I've tried to unplug it with the bulb still in the housing and it's nearly impossible to begin in to the area.
I did try removing the bulb with the cable still attached and they're didn't seem to be enough slack to do that.
I'll give it both options another shot.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,181 Posts
OK I just tried this procedure on my driver-side HID bulb, which is near the battery so there is more room to maneuver.

I think it is best to keep the bulb securely installed while removing and connecting the cable.

However just for science I tried pulling hard to get the bulb out with the cable still connected. I barely was able to, but I fear I stretched the cable and pushed the bulb against the housing trying to wiggle it out with the cable connected. More difficulty trying to get the bulb back in with the cable connected - I eventually gave up because it would risk damaging the bulb too much.

So bottom line, you could technically get the old bulb out with the cable connected if you are willing to bend the old bulb on the way out.

But better to just make room to fit both hands in, so you can use a finger or thumb from each hand on each end of the connector and pop it off. For the driver's side, you would loosen the battery cable on the negative battery terminal, and rotate it it further back out of the way to fit your hands. For the passenger side, you would remove the wiper fluid reservoir to be able to fit your hands to pull off the cable connector.

The clamp holding the bulb is really strong and should hold the bulb nicely while you pull off the connector.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts