Kia Optima Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,221 Posts
2011-2013 models have H11b bulbs. HID conversion kit for those must have the H11 so they won't cast a shadow. Then the 2014 models really threw us for a loop and started using H11 AND H7 bulbs. So for there not to be a shadow, you would have to purchase a H11b bulb.
Yep this is dead on. We have already implemented the changes to the site in our listings.

Awesome info as always - thanks! SO I take it this is the one to get for a 2014 EX? HID Lighting Conversion Kits - US Shipping / 6000k White w/ Hint of Blue / Included + $20.00.
Actually that is the cheaper of the 2 kits we sell. The better quality TRS kit can be found on our site here: K5 Optima Store - The Retrofit Source Complete HID Conversion Kits

Just make sure that if you have the H11 bulbs from factory that you're ordering the H11B XB35 kit from the site.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
350 Posts
Like Eric said earlier, the 2014 models without HID comes with either the H11 or H7 bulb. Before you buy your kit, check and see if you have the H7 bulb. If you do, get these adapters: Amazon.com: Amico 2 Pcs Xenon H7 HID Bulb Kit Holders Retainers Adapters for Kia: Automotive

I was one of the people who had the H7 bulb and had to go through a battle to install the HIDs. Those adapters will fit perfectly once you play around with them. Took me a while to get them to settle in the housing, but they do work. Maybe if we get enough people with the H7 bulbs, K5 would start carrying these LOL =P

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,221 Posts
Like Eric said earlier, the 2014 models without HID comes with either the H11 or H7 bulb. Before you buy your kit, get these adapters: Amazon.com: Amico 2 Pcs Xenon H7 HID Bulb Kit Holders Retainers Adapters for Kia: Automotive

I was one of the people who had the H7 bulb and had to go through a battle to install the HIDs. Those adapters will fit perfectly once you play around with them. Took me a while to get them to settle in the housing, but they do work. Maybe if we get enough people with the H7 bulbs, K5 would start carrying these LOL =P
Just to comment in order not to confuse any other members, only the H7 bulbs need those adaptors linked above. The H11 members will not need anything additional. Yes we will start carrying these adaptors regardless.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
350 Posts
Just to comment in order not to confuse any other members, only the H7 bulbs need those adaptors linked above. The H11 members will not need anything additional. Yes we will start carrying these adaptors regardless.
Sorry should have made it more clear in my post haha. After your post, I just read mine and it could be a bit confusing if not read carefully LOL...

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
Bad news guys, although my bulbs have stopped flickering, they still bounce wildly on the road. It's really annoying and it just makes the car look poorly put together. Is there anyone else that has this issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bad news guys, although my bulbs have stopped flickering, they still bounce wildly on the road. It's really annoying and it just makes the car look poorly put together. Is there anyone else that has this issue?

Did you remove the bracket from the housing when you screwed the bulbs in? Or did you just twist-lock them right into the housing?

When I did mine, I tried not removing the brackets, but it wouldn't sit right (was bouncy). I had to actually take out that metal bracket, twist the bulb all the way in, and screw the bracket back into place.

-Brad

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
Did you remove the bracket from the housing when you screwed the bulbs in? Or did you just twist-lock them right into the housing?

When I did mine, I tried not removing the brackets, but it wouldn't sit right (was bouncy). I had to actually take out that metal bracket, twist the bulb all the way in, and screw the bracket back into place.

-Brad
I twist locked them right into the housing. I turned them as far as possible, I tugged on them, they feel stiff. I'm a little iffy about taking off the bumper, I did the conversion without doing that? Did everyone else here remove the metal bracket before putting the bulbs in?

Brad, do you have a 14 optima?I'm wondering if the differences in the headlight housing is the cause. Maybe someone with a 14 optima and headlamps of the h11 variety can chime in with their experience.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
On my 12 I didn't remove the bracket. I am at a loss about the bouncing. Maybe a video next time you have someone in the car at night so we can see what you mean.

-Brad
Hey Brad, when yours was bouncing, was it the beam that was bouncing or you could physically grab the bulb and shake it? Because for me the bulb sits tight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So i got my HID kit and I installed them. The shadows are noticeable like NICKMAN says, but the increase in light output over halogen is nice. The projectors do a good job with the hid bulb imo. With that said, I have some issues. Whenever I hit bumps my lights bounce. Does that happen to anyone else? I also have some flickering. And when I turn on the lights, they look as if they are having a hard time powering up, as if I don't have a relay installed. Also, the relay pack buzzes very loudly. Does anyone have a solution to these issues? I purchased the kit from k5 optima.
I got professionals to install my TRS kit for me and I have the relay pack buzzing. Did you ever figure out how to get rid of the buzzing?

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hey Brad, when yours was bouncing, was it the beam that was bouncing or you could physically grab the bulb and shake it? Because for me the bulb sits tight.
I don't know what to say about the bouncing. I have a 13 and I didn't remove anything to get the bulbs in. The bulbs are tight in place, and they do not bounce.

I got professionals to install my TRS kit for me and I have the relay pack buzzing. Did you ever figure out how to get rid of the buzzing?
The relay pack will buzz. I have heard this before myself. I think it may depend on your hearing, as odd as that might sound. Some people can hear frequencies that others cannot. For example, some people can hear lights and TV's, where others cannot.

So, the relay pack will buzz, but it shouldn't buzz continuously. Once the HIDs are in a self-sustaining mode, the buzz should subside. It should only return on a new startup. I think mine buzz for like 5 min (but don't quote me on that time).

Does the buzz go away after a little bit? Maybe start the lights, go for a drive, and then check to see if it's still buzzing is still there??

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got it figured out with David's help. The polarity on the capacitor was reversed. The buzzing was extremely noticeable, you'd have to ge deaf to not hear it, inside the cabin and the engine bay but it's gone now. :)

·
Registered
2013 Optima
26 Posts
THANKS for your DIY post! I followed your instructions to the letter with the exception of using a grommet for the wiring to the bulbs and though it has only been a week I am very pleased with the results. I have tried different kinds of HID kits and this time went with the Xentecs 55w 5000k lights with a relay harness. I used a DRL canceler just because I had it but not sure if it was necessary. Now I just need to address the issue with the hole in the dust cover...

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
THANKS for your DIY post! I followed your instructions to the letter with the exception of using a grommet for the wiring to the bulbs and though it has only been a week I am very pleased with the results. I have tried different kinds of HID kits and this time went with the Xentecs 55w 5000k lights with a relay harness. I used a DRL canceler just because I had it but not sure if it was necessary. Now I just need to address the issue with the hole in the dust cover...
I'm glad I could help. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
2013 Optima EX - Tech & Premium
20 Posts
Great write up and I was finally able to get this done! It is much harder to do this with the headlight in place... That statement in the OP is an understatement hahaha picture hopefully attached. Also updated the fogs at the same time to LED. That project was much easier!

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima defiance
28 Posts
Hey whats up? I have a 2015 Optima LX with the H7 setup. I have a new Kensun Kit lying around and I want to use it. All I need is bulbs, do I just order the H7 bulbs with the adapters to secure them in the housing?

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Like Eric said earlier, the 2014 models without HID comes with either the H11 or H7 bulb. Before you buy your kit, check and see if you have the H7 bulb. If you do, get these adapters: Amazon.com: Amico 2 Pcs Xenon H7 HID Bulb Kit Holders Retainers Adapters for Kia: Automotive

Thanks for the info man!!

Do the bulbs fit perfectly and face the right direction with the groud wire not making any annoying shadows?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,221 Posts
Hey whats up? I have a 2015 Optima LX with the H7 setup. I have a new Kensun Kit lying around and I want to use it. All I need is bulbs, do I just order the H7 bulbs with the adapters to secure them in the housing?

Do the bulbs fit perfectly and face the right direction with the groud wire not making any annoying shadows?
If you have an H7 setup lying around, then all you should need is the H7 adapters to install them.

Bulb shadows are not caused y the bulb adapters but rather the type of bulbs being used. Some of the cheaper bulbs can cause ground shadows as the ground wire passes right in front of the beam pattern.

·
Registered
2012 Optima Kia
42 Posts
Ok so I'm trying to follow this as best I can. I have the trs 35w kit. Car is stock h11b so I got the h11 kit. However I want to make sure before I start tweaking.

I'm stuck where I need to plug the oem input, where is this located on the car? Also do I need to use the blue and black wires in the picture shown? I don't know what they plug into.

Thanks in advance. I'm super excited right now to get these bad boys installed so I can do a test run tonight :) image.jpg

image.jpg
Where does the oem plug into?

image.jpg
This is the h11 bulb

·
Registered
2012 Optima Kia
42 Posts
Ok so I think I'm getting close but need to confirm. I removed the plastic clip from the anti flicker and I hope I use these spades on the driver side into the factory harness on the headlights?

image.jpg

61 - 80 of 89 Posts