Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
I would check your stock lights first and see if they come with H11 or H7. Some 2014s come with H11 or H7. The ground shadows are noticeable imo.
You will see two ^ ^ shapes on the bottom.
example: IMG_20140706_000809.jpg
I think the difference is huge when driving also

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
So i got my HID kit and I installed them. The shadows are noticeable like NICKMAN says, but the increase in light output over halogen is nice. The projectors do a good job with the hid bulb imo. With that said, I have some issues. Whenever I hit bumps my lights bounce. Does that happen to anyone else? I also have some flickering. And when I turn on the lights, they look as if they are having a hard time powering up, as if I don't have a relay installed. Also, the relay pack buzzes very loudly. Does anyone have a solution to these issues? I purchased the kit from k5 optima.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
So i got my HID kit and I installed them. The shadows are noticeable like NICKMAN says, but the increase in light output over halogen is nice. The projectors do a good job with the hid bulb imo. With that said, I have some issues. Whenever I hit bumps my lights bounce. Does that happen to anyone else? I also have some flickering? Does anyone have a solution to these issues? I have the h11 bulb.
When do you have flickering? Is it constant? Did you purchase the kit from us and if so which one?

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
At start up they kinda do flicker for a few seconds and then stay constant. Make sure you don't connect your ground to the negative terminal of the battery. The TRS kit does come with a capacitor harness so you should be fine. Never experienced the flickering when hitting a bump. Only thing I hear buzzing is my ballast when my engine is off. Other than that I can't hear it when engine is on.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
At start up they kinda do flicker for a few seconds and then stay constant. Make sure you don't connect your ground to the negative terminal of the battery. The TRS kit does come with a capacitor harness so you should be fine. Never experienced the flickering when hitting a bump. Only thing I hear buzzing is my ballast when my engine is off. Other than that I can't hear it when engine is on.
Could it be the bulb? I have the morimoto bulbs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Or the capacitor link... On a side note your relays should not be buzzing unless they changed something, mine dont...

Im not sure if its the bulb. I think if it lights up then its good lol. But i think flickering can either be caused by ballast or harness not installed properly.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Poverty EX
499 Posts
Wow... this site has been awesome and I have learned so much here. Today's lesson is that my 2014 EX does not have HID's as I thought it did just by looking at the headlight and seeing a projector... So it looks like I will be hitting up K5 Optima Store for a conversion kit!

Just so I dont go down the wrong path here, am I to understand that the fitment is exactly the same as detailed in post one, the only difference being the bulb type as I might have H7 or H11?

Thanks!

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
Wow... this site has been awesome and I have learned so much here. Today's lesson is that my 2014 EX does not have HID's as I thought it did just by looking at the headlight and seeing a projector... So it looks like I will be hitting up K5 Optima Store for a conversion kit!

Just so I dont go down the wrong path here, am I to understand that the fitment is exactly the same as detailed in post one, the only difference being the bulb type as I might have H7 or H11?

Thanks!

Thats correct. Its simple to see what bulb you have. Just check your bulbs. Looks like the 2014s that have H11 will actually say H11 on the bulb. If you have H11 then you need an H11B because of the return wire. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. BTW- Love your wheels. Which ones are they?

·
Registered
2014 Optima
568 Posts
Thats correct. Its simple to see what bulb you have. Just check your bulbs. Looks like the 2014s that have H11 will actually say H11 on the bulb. If you have H11 then you need an H11B because of the return wire. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. BTW- Love your wheels. Which ones are they?
Just want to check but Eric wouldn't he want the h11 bulb not the h11b? Doesn't the h11b cast a shadow?

·
(Formerly "shadow")
2013 Kia Optima
65 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
Eric, do you guys plan on carrying the pre-drilled dust caps like the ones available from Diode Dynamics?

2008-2013 Kia Optima Predrilled Dust Caps (pair)
Found out from a couple of members that those don't fit US models. It might fit a Korean model just fine. I actually ordered a couple from eBay and both times they didn't fit so for now we are stuck with the lens caps that have those fins.

Wow, I didn't know these existed! I used a dremel to make my own crude hole.
Right now, the dremel is best way or get a hole bit to drill a hole closer to the edge of the cap between the fins.

Just want to check but Eric wouldn't he want the h11 bulb not the h11b? Doesn't the h11b cast a shadow?
So this has been a bit of a learning experience. 2011-2013 models have H11b bulbs. HID conversion kit for those must have the H11 so they won't cast a shadow. Then the 2014 models really threw us for a loop and started using H11 AND H7 bulbs. So for there not to be a shadow, you would have to purchase a H11b bulb. It all has to do with the ground wire location from what TRS has advised us. H7 owners don't have this issue. Does your kit have the shadow though, as I recall you bought the normal H11 TRS kit correct.

Eric

·
Registered
2014 KIA Poverty EX
499 Posts
So this has been a bit of a learning experience. 2011-2013 models have H11b bulbs. HID conversion kit for those must have the H11 so they won't cast a shadow. Then the 2014 models really threw us for a loop and started using H11 AND H7 bulbs. So for there not to be a shadow, you would have to purchase a H11b bulb. It all has to do with the ground wire location from what TRS has advised us. H7 owners don't have this issue. Does your kit have the shadow though, as I recall you bought the normal H11 TRS kit correct.
Awesome info as always - thanks! SO I take it this is the one to get for a 2014 EX? HID Lighting Conversion Kits - US Shipping / 6000k White w/ Hint of Blue / Included + $20.00

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Eric - Sorry missed this earlier. The sig pic is actually a photoshop I did of how I'm going to make this car look.

Wheels are 19x8.5 Konig Oversteers and tires will be 225/35/19 Dunlop Direzzas.

·
Registered
2013 Kia SWP Optima EX
123 Posts
Found out from a couple of members that those don't fit US models. It might fit a Korean model just fine. I actually ordered a couple from eBay and both times they didn't fit so for now we are stuck with the lens caps that have those fins.
Wow, I didn't realize that was even a possibility. I thought both the US and Korean versions used the same assembly. Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the update.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts