Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima 2014 Optima EX w/sunroof
29 Posts
Can you post a picture of your stock bulb? I have a 14 and just installed some HID's. It seems another member had a problem with his HID's on his 14.
Thanks for helping. If you can help me figure this out that would be awesome. Here are photos of the 2014 EX stock halogen bulb and connector.

image.jpeg image[1].jpeg image[2].jpeg image[3].jpeg image[4].jpeg

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
Thanks for helping. If you can help me figure this out that would be awesome. Here are photos of the 2014 EX stock halogen bulb and connector.

View attachment 107802 View attachment 107810 View attachment 107818 View attachment 107826 View attachment 107834
That is an H7 bulb. Seems like the 2014s have come with either H7 or H11b bulbs which is odd and still not sure why the different bulbs. The above process that the OP posted will work for installing HID conversion kit. The only difference is going to be getting the correct bulb or an adapter or an H7 kit. Which kit do you have?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is an H7 bulb. Seems like the 2014 have come with either H7 or H11b bulbs which is odd and still not sure why the different bulbs. The above process that the OP posted will work for installing HID conversion kit. The only difference is going to be getting the correct bulb or an adapter or an H7 kit. Which kit do you have?
I just found out today that the guy supplied me with a H8 bulb and kit. Why the 2014's changed to an H7 is beyond me (hate them for doing that lol).
I have a H7/h11 (low beams/fogs) conversion kit just sitting there now, useless for my 2014. Is there a bulb replacement or H7 adapter for the H8 HID bulb?
If anyone has a solution I would truly appreciated it. Thank you.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
I just found out today that the guy supplied me with a H8 bulb and kit. Why the 2014's changed to an H7 is beyond me (hate them for doing that lol).
I have a H7/h11 (low beams/fogs) conversion kit just sitting there now, useless for my 2014. Is there a bulb replacement or H7 adapter for the H8 HID bulb?
If anyone has a solution I would truly appreciated it. Thank you.
Even more strange is why we are seeing two different bulbs on 2014's. Can you clarify something real quick though or maybe I am reading your post wrong. So the H7 HID conversion kit that you have came with an H8 bulb. Is that correct? If so can you contact where you purchased it from and see if they can send you the proper bulb. As far as adapters go, I would try and google it to see if you can find one. Keep us updated and hopefully we can all work to get that HID kit working.

·
Registered
263 Posts
(not to break up the 2014 party or anything)

Just did this conversion on my 2013! Super simple to complete. A couple grounds, power from the fuse box bolt, zip ties, a few beers, and 45 minutes later I've got some great looking HIDs.

Thanks David for being awesome with great products!

-B

·
Registered
29 Posts
Even more strange is why we are seeing two different bulbs on 2014's. Can you clarify something real quick though or maybe I am reading your post wrong. So the H7 HID conversion kit that you have came with an H8 bulb. Is that correct? If so can you contact where you purchased it from and see if they can send you the proper bulb. As far as adapters go, I would try and google it to see if you can find one. Keep us updated and hopefully we can all work to get that HID kit working.
Sorry for the confusion, to clarify the HID conversion kit I have is designed to replace a H8 bulb (designed for 2013 models and older).
The 2014 Optima's come stock with H7 halogen bulbs, therefore the HID DS1 bulb (meant to replace H8) that came with the kit does not fit.

I think I have to wait for a manufacture to come up with an adapter. Wonder how the guy with 2014 did the conversion in an a previous post in this thread.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
Unless there is a difference between the US versions and Canadian Versions, the 2011-2013 Optimas come with an H11B halogen bulb for NON-OEM HID trims. For example, my 2012 EX had halogens that were H11B. My HID conversion kit from TRS uses a H11 HID bulb (We found out that H11B HID bulbs from TRS caused shadows but the normal H11 bulb is perfect). If you are doing an HID conversion from halogen, I don't think the D1S bulb is correct. We can order an H7 HID conversion kit from TRS. D1S bulbs are only to replace stock HID bulbs, unless I am missing something.

Can you take some pics of the kit you received?

Eric

·
Registered
378 Posts
That is an H7 bulb. Seems like the 2014s have come with either H7 or H11b bulbs which is odd and still not sure why the different bulbs. The above process that the OP posted will work for installing HID conversion kit. The only difference is going to be getting the correct bulb or an adapter or an H7 kit. Which kit do you have?

so they all should have H11's? or some have H7

·
Registered
378 Posts
honestly im not sure.. i looked at the kia website and it says only only on sxt and sxl

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

and if i don't is there a way to see if mine is h7 or h11

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
No you are right. You have halogen and from pics I have seen so far is that if you have a H11 bulb it will be labeled H11 while the H7s aren't. If you look above at post #21, you will see thats and H7 bulb. Eric

·
Registered
2015 KIA OPTIMA
193 Posts
My 2014 Kia Optima EX came with stock H11 bulbs. Installed regular Morimoto 3fiveH11 HIDs but got ground shadows from installing those. I then tried the Morimoto XB35 H11 and that got rid of the ground shadows.
Before 3fiveH11: IMG_20140706_000809.jpg

After XB35 H11: IMG_20140709_211743.jpg

Oh and I bought these from David K5 Optima Store! Mad props to him with his excellent customer service!

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
65 Posts
My 2014 Kia Optima EX came with stock H11 bulbs. Installed regular Morimoto 3fiveH11 HIDs but got ground shadows from installing those. I then tried the Morimoto XB35 H11 and that got rid of the ground shadows.
Before 3fiveH11: View attachment 111122

After XB35 H11: View attachment 111130

Oh and I bought these from David K5 Optima Store! Mad props to him with his excellent customer service!
How bad are the ground shadows? I ordered the kit with the 3five bulbs. Is the xb35 a requirement for a solid beam pattern?

21 - 40 of 91 Posts