Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife came home today and informed me that she went to receive a call, pressed the green button on the steering column and the whole 3 button cluster fell back into the steering whee.

I'm thinking that the screw broke off or the plastic mount somehow fractured.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife came home today and informed me that she went to receive a call, pressed the green button on the steering column and the whole 3 button cluster fell back into the steering whee.

[/QUOTE

Hey, I had a steering wheel related issue as well. It didn’t have to do with the call buttons but it did involve similar steps to fix the issue. I’ve linked a video below that may help your situation

·
Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first picture shows the steering wheel buttons. What is the 2nd picture?
I zoomed in on the bottom left corner of the 3 button switch. There appears to be a screw and I'm not sure the screw broke off from the inside somewhere or if the plastic bracket piece itself cracked?

·
Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for this video Mark. Since you've already done this, I'm wondering if removing the battery means I have to reprogram my stereo settings ,repair our iPhones and also erase my maintenance settings for oil change and tire rotation?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,528 Posts
Ah OK now I see what you mean by the 2nd picture. OK so this is speculation, but to me the 2nd picture illustrates an "insert" that is screwed and secured in it's normal location, but the problem is the insert has disconnected from the plastic housing of the buttons. Normally the insert is secured into the plastic housing to provide a metal machined screw receptacle. But it seems like the insert has come loose. I could be totally wrong. But are you able to look up the replacement part for the buttons, and see if there is a metal insert pressed into it the way I'm describing?

I wonder if you can just maneuver the button housing back into place and press down to re-secure the insert into the plastic housing? Perhaps add a dab of super glue to help the insert remain secured in the plastic housing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You'll need a new "Switch Assembly-Remocon" —part number will vary depending on your car's options, you'll want to enter the VIN on the parts site to make sure you've got the right one. I've used kiapartsnow dot com with good results. It's about 80 bucks.

You'll need a steering wheel puller. You can usually borrow one from a local parts store.

You'll need a tool to remove the airbag. A pin punch or a slender Philips #1 screwdriver should suffice.

You'll need to disconnect the battery, because you don't want to set off the airbag while you're removing it. Disconnecting the battery will erase your radio presets, so write them down first. You'll also need to reset your power windows and sunroof when you're done; that's easy and described in the owner's manual.

The procedure isn't difficult, but you need to be very careful handling the airbag. It can go off at any time. Always remember that and don't get in the way of the business end. Don't sit in the driver's seat while you're removing it. Don't do it when you're prone to static electricity (dry air, static-generating clothes, etc.). And don't put it down face-down—always leave the business end facing up, so that if it goes off, it doesn't turn itself into a projectile.

Before you pull the steering wheel, make note of the alignment marks so you don't get the wheel back on crooked. If you need to, make a new alignment mark with a paint pen or a small dab of nail polish.

There's versions of the Kia shop manual online, or you can buy short-term access from Kia or through a service like Alldata DIY. Your local library might offer access to Mitchell or Alldata, too.

If your fog lights aren't working, this is a good time to replace the headlight/turn-signal switch, too.

·
Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll need a new "Switch Assembly-Remocon" —part number will vary depending on your car's options, you'll want to enter the VIN on the parts site to make sure you've got the right one. I've used kiapartsnow dot com with good results. It's about 80 bucks.

You'll need a steering wheel puller. You can usually borrow one from a local parts store.

You'll need a tool to remove the airbag. A pin punch or a slender Philips #1 screwdriver should suffice.

You'll need to disconnect the battery, because you don't want to set off the airbag while you're removing it. Disconnecting the battery will erase your radio presets, so write them down first. You'll also need to reset your power windows and sunroof when you're done; that's easy and described in the owner's manual.

The procedure isn't difficult, but you need to be very careful handling the airbag. It can go off at any time. Always remember that and don't get in the way of the business end. Don't sit in the driver's seat while you're removing it. Don't do it when you're prone to static electricity (dry air, static-generating clothes, etc.). And don't put it down face-down—always leave the business end facing up, so that if it goes off, it doesn't turn itself into a projectile.

Before you pull the steering wheel, make note of the alignment marks so you don't get the wheel back on crooked. If you need to, make a new alignment mark with a paint pen or a small dab of nail polish.

There's versions of the Kia shop manual online, or you can buy short-term access from Kia or through a service like Alldata DIY. Your local library might offer access to Mitchell or Alldata, too.

If your fog lights aren't working, this is a good time to replace the headlight/turn-signal switch, too.
Whoa way to much work and worry for me but thank you for posting this Mac!

·
Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah OK now I see what you mean by the 2nd picture. OK so this is speculation, but to me the 2nd picture illustrates an "insert" that is screwed and secured in it's normal location, but the problem is the insert has disconnected from the plastic housing of the buttons. Normally the insert is secured into the plastic housing to provide a metal machined screw receptacle. But it seems like the insert has come loose. I could be totally wrong. But are you able to look up the replacement part for the buttons, and see if there is a metal insert pressed into it the way I'm describing?

I wonder if you can just maneuver the button housing back into place and press down to re-secure the insert into the plastic housing? Perhaps add a dab of super glue to help the insert remain secured in the plastic housing?
I was thinking of doing exactly this. I"m lazy and don't want to disconnect the battery, reprogram windows moonroof etc. I was thinking I'd wear my motorcycle helmet for protection first. Gently release the 3 springs per the video posted above and just gently move the airbag assembly up and onto the top of the steering column to rest. Then try to apply some epoxy gel or superglue to the mounts/screws (it looks like the screws broke off in the plastic attachment just like in the above video) and put a block of wood or similar wedged behind it while it dries. Then just reattach the airbag assembly and done.

What does everyone think? Oh and I would think messing with removing the wires on the airbag assembly would be dangerous enough EVEN if the battery is disconnected so why mess with the wires at all?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts