Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,740 Posts
Do you remember if your old PCV valve was blue colored? I've seen blue or black replacements for my 2012 2.0T engine, but my understanding is the proper replacement is blue not black.

I don't know the differences between the blue or black PCV valves. I think they will physically fit the same port, but maybe there is a difference in flow rate or pressure to open/close the valve?

It's a hassle now that you have the black PCV valve, but if you originally had a blue OEM PCV valve, it wouldn't be too much additional cost to just get another blue one and replace your black one?

I think the blue PCV valve has a different OEM Kia part number compared to the black PCV valve.

EDIT: here is an example of a blue PCV valve: 2011-2016 Kia Optima 2.0L 2.4L PCV Valve 26740-2G600 Kia OEM | eBay

· Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey King; I normally keep everything and can't believe that I threw the old one out. I don't recall the color of the old one but can't believe that it would operate so differently even if it wasn't the exact same PCV valve and would have led to the valve cover leak?

I'm still hoping to fix the leak myself unless I can someone get someone at KIA corporate to cover the repair since it was so close to the 10yr/100Kmi warranty expiration?

· Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,410 Posts
I'd first try and see if any of the valve cover bolts are loose, not crank them down, just snug.

Kia even chooses to fight owners when the car is within the warranty period, or covered under the engine lifetime warranty, so they aren't going to budge when the vehicle is out of warranty.
Having said that, if you're not going to do the job yourself, I'd check around to get some quotes on the VC gasket replacement. Nothing earth shattering about the job, only exception is that the HP fuel pump needs to be removed, and certainly the fuel rail replacement is nothing but a money maker, maybe even charge you and never do the replacement.

Might take some time, but if you can turn a wrench, you can do the job yourself:

Just remember, the HP pump, loosen each bolt a little at a time and alternate left then right, then same when doing the install.

· Registered
2014 Kia Optima
70 Posts
Hi King, I have a 2014 Optima 2.0T and my PCV valve was blue. Not sure if the 2012 was the same, but wanted to at least confirm what mine was. Hopefully that helps.

· Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
King, Turbo;

Can either of you provide the Kia OEM gasket numbers that I will need for the valve cover replacement please? I want to definitely make sure I order the right parts if I'm going to get this done.

· Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Test the one you put in, should rattle if shaken.
I did check the new "black" PCV valve before installing and confirmed that it did indeed rattle. Wasn't sure how to test the old one to confirm that it was working correctly before replacing with the new "black" one but it also rattled so not sure on that.

· Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Does anyone have the Kia OEM gasket numbers (including the HP fuel pump gasket) that I will need for the valve cover replacement please for 2013 Optima SX Turbo?

· Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hmmm I called Kia Genuine Parts and gave them my VIN.

They are telling me I need these part numbers. which is a bit different from the numbers you provided Chauncey? Hoping that they are right?

1) Fuel Pump: 31110-3Q650
2) O-Ring: 31152-3K600
3) Gasket 22441-2G670

· Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
OK so new development. Was ready to order the valve cover gaskets etc. and had my neighbor who builds/modifies custom cars come over and take a look at the leak just to make sure. He said there was oil residue along the back of the valve cover but stated the valve cover was definitely not leaking. He can't tell unless we get the car up on a lift (which neither of us have).

So question:

1) Should I take it to another local dealer and ask them for a 2nd opinion since neither of us are trusting the original dealer's technician diagnosis.
2) Should I take it to another dealer and act dumb knowing that there's a pretty good chance they will look up the previous dealer's diagnosis in their system and just go with their previous diagnosis?

· Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,740 Posts
Did your neighbor offer any theory of how the oil could have gotten to where you saw it?

If I were you, I'd clean up any oil residue near the valve cover, then watch to see over time if the oil re-appears.

· Registered
2013 KIA OPTIMA
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did your neighbor offer any theory of how the oil could have gotten to where you saw it?

If I were you, I'd clean up any oil residue near the valve cover, then watch to see over time if the oil re-appears.
He didn't. He said we'd have to get it up on lift and inspect from the bottom to really identify where the leak is coming from. Unfortunately I don't have a lift or know anyone with one. Of course there's the dealer but not sure I can get another Kia dealer to play nicely with me on this.. Holding pattern for now...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts