Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
If there is a legit person who can help me figure out how to approach Kia dealership tomorrow morning with an issue that has been going on for a few months now.
1st I want to say, My car had a recall last Nov 2018 for:
SC141- Underbody Corrosion , SC147- Engine and PI1803- ECU upgrade
..now I was told that this has something to do with a piece of metal getting stuck in a tube of something inside of my engine as well as coating underneath my car bc of erosion from salt bad weather ect..I brought it in & was given a rental car for a month. I couldn't believe it took that long bc I didnt think it was a big deal.

Anyways FF to rt now.
For the past 3 months I have been back in forth with my mechanic about figuring out what is wrong with my vehicle. The best way I can try to explain it is that,
When I turn it on big puffs of white smoke come out the exsaught..not everytime but most times..as well as its not wanting to accelerate when I press the gas petal, it makes this..noise..like something getting stuck in a fan..and it studders pretty bad now. It sounds pretty scary. I also noticed it leaking back in early September..but it wasn't always doing that. . Anyways. My mechanic isn't sure and all he did was chk the oil and he seen that I did need more. And then he did a flush a few weeks after that and put more oil in it as well as some coating stuff to stop any leaks...that was it and I still have the same issues. So I decided to just bite the bullet call kia so they can take a look. Which is tomorrow morning. I have no clue if this has anything to do with the recall last year or this is something entirely new????. I am by 0 means a mechanic and or know zilllch abt cars. Unfortunately. I am seriously worried that Kia will Not be able to help me! I have no way of knowing if they will even attempt to "repair" a thing.

I hate that I found out abt this forum soo late. I just dont know what to do!?. Any tips PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
First question, what engine?
A great amount of info on the Forum and on line, but:

As far as the recalls, SC141 is self explanatory, slop is sprayed on undercarriage to inhibit rust on the crappy parts used by Kia, SC147, the dealership installs a "noise tester" adapter into the dipdtick tube to check for any bearing noise. Noise they say can be caused by debris left in engine during assembly, but IMHO don't believe that reason, but on to PI1803 which is an upgrade to the ECU that will detect any engine knock and if it does, place the car in limp mode with cel, and limit engine rpm to 2000. This is so the car isn't driven "normally" when the engine encounters problems so it won't self destruct, cause a fire, and raise havoc for the people inside.

Having said that, they shouldn't cause any problems related to drive-ability, and one would need to find out why they had the car for a month. For that length of time sounds like they replaced the engine which you should have received paperwork detailing the work performed, and if the engine was replaced, check to see if it is still under warranty.

Other than the above, guess we'll find out what Kia has to say about the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First question, what engine?
A great amount of info on the Forum and on line, but:
As far as the recalls, SC141 is self explanatory, slop is sprayed on undercarriage to inhibit rust on the crappy parts used by Kia, SC147, the dealership installs a "noise tester" adapter into the dipdtick tube to check for any bearing noise. Noise they say can be caused by debris left in engine during assembly, but IMHO don't believe that reason, but on to PI1803 which is an upgrade to the ECU that will detect any engine knock and if it does, place the car in limp mode with cel, and limit engine rpm to 2000. This is so the car isn't driven "normally" when the engine encounters problems so it won't self destruct, cause a fire, and raise havoc for the people inside.

Having said that, they shouldn't cause any problems related to drive-ability, and one would need to find out why they had the car for a month. For that length of time sounds like they replaced the engine which you should have received paperwork detailing the work performed, and if the engine was replaced, check to see if it is still under warranty.

Other than the above, guess we'll find out what Kia has to say about the problem.
so the ECU upgrade is very important. My engine seized a month ago because I ignored it. Those things you’re speaking of could be a sign of potential engine failure. I would get the upgrades ASAP just to cross your t’s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts