Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo yo yo, it’s my first post my name is treyc and I just wanted to introduce myself. Now my left driver headlight in super dim like way dimmer than it should. Headlight bulbs always go out on that side first and are burned out much faster. I have LEDS in now and the left side is much dimmer. Any ideas as to what’s going on?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
What year is your car? I've heard most issues with headlight filaments (going bad or something) on 2011-2013 models. Our 15' has problems with both headlights (neither low beams work) but that's because the car keeps eating up wires, and it's getting annoying. In the picture below you can see how the passenger headlight is on but DIM and the drivers is out completely.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
699 Posts
What year is your car? I've heard most issues with headlight filaments (going bad or something) on 2011-2013 models. Our 15' has problems with both headlights (neither low beams work) but that's because the car keeps eating up wires, and it's getting annoying. In the picture below you can see how the passenger headlight is on but DIM and the drivers is out completely.
View attachment 247508
Can you explain what "eating up wires" means and has the Dealer Svc or your mechanic commented on it?
Would give treyc better ammunition to discuss with mechanic as it seems like a "system" issue Vs a headlight issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 247508
That’s really interesting mine is similar to that but not as severe. What do you mean by eating up the wires? Also when I looking into the housing it looks like something is blocking the light from coming out. I will take pictures this evening to show you. I also have a 2014 optima with 175k miles.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
28,964 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums treyc!

Hmm, seems like the issue that is happening on the 2011-2012 models.

Have you already brought it into Kia to have them look at it?

-David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey David! I have, I went to kia yesterday and they didn't know what was wrong! The guy told me to maybe buy a new head light unit but he didn’t know why it was doing what it’s doing. I looked a couples places and I can’t seem to find any after market headlights that fit my optima. I found a couple that were waaaay out of my price range but other than that it seems I am out of options.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
28,964 Posts
Hey David! I have, I went to kia yesterday and they didn't know what was wrong! The guy told me to maybe buy a new head light unit but he didn’t know why it was doing what it’s doing. I looked a couples places and I can’t seem to find any after market headlights that fit my optima. I found a couple that were waaaay out of my price range but other than that it seems I am out of options.
Do you mean a new headlight assembly altogether, or new headlight bulbs? You most likely can order the new assembly for that one side on eBay for pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Can you explain what "eating up wires" means and has the Dealer Svc or your mechanic commented on it?
Would give treyc better ammunition to discuss with mechanic as it seems like a "system" issue Vs a headlight issue.
What I mean by "eating up wires" is that our car has had multiple wiring harness replacements for the headlights. Our dealer has looked at it multiple times along with our family mechanic, next step according to both our mechanic and the dealer is to "replace both entire headlight assembly's". I don't know why the headlights are like this its not like the car has been in any front end accidents. I happen to be really good friends with the dealer so their working out a deal for the headlight replacements. I've asked them about the drivers brake lamp but they can't seem to figure out why it makes the entire car flip out when a bulb is put in, so it's still missing a drivers side brake lamp.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
That’s really interesting mine is similar to that but not as severe. What do you mean by eating up the wires? Also when I looking into the housing it looks like something is blocking the light from coming out. I will take pictures this evening to show you. I also have a 2014 optima with 175k miles.
The wiring harnesses are the problem with our car and they continue to fail....I was planning on trading the car in but whats the point when we're not going to get much for it. We have a 2015 with 105k miles. You're not that far from 200k. How's it been holding up so far? I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one of these with more than 100k miles.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima GDI
2 Posts
Yo yo yo, it’s my first post my name is treyc and I just wanted to introduce myself. Now my left driver headlight in super dim like way dimmer than it should. Headlight bulbs always go out on that side first and are burned out much faster. I have LEDS in now and the left side is much dimmer. Any ideas as to what’s going on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.