Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I didn't notice until a couple weeks ago when it actually got warm, but I have no AC in the car and air only blows out the windshield vents no matter which setting I have it on.

I'd pay someone at this point to get this fixed but a local stereo shop didn't want to touch it (which is why I tried to do this all myself).

I'm guessing it's got something to do with the two wires that didn't match up with the climate control panel connector.
Ugh, been following this sporadically and this kind of terrifies me.... in your talks with bperry had he mentioned this problem cropping up?

·
Registered
165 Posts
So what was the outcome? Did you make it work with the eBay climate controls/display? Where you able to make it happen? I had the same ordeal and I just resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be able to swap the head-unit. I went with a Kicker Front Row processor and everything else that I wanted to place in the car and all is golden.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well I have no idea how to troubleshoot the AC issues. If I had a full wiring diagram I could at least find out if it's getting power when I hit the button. If anyone has any idea what should get power when the AC button is activated I will check that. My wife has also told me that occasionally a speaker will lose sound on the right or left when she is cornering. It's never happened when I'm in the car, but that's only on weekends.

If I don't get the AC issue fixed this weekend, I'll just have to put her old stuff back in :$

·
Registered
165 Posts
Man, sorry to hear. I debat back and forth for a year and opted to not pull te stereo. I went with a signal processor instead. I really hope you are able to find the pin out and address the issue so that all of your work doesn't goto waste. Best of luck man. Keep us posted.
Well I have no idea how to troubleshoot the AC issues. If I had a full wiring diagram I could at least find out if it's getting power when I hit the button. If anyone has any idea what should get power when the AC button is activated I will check that. My wife has also told me that occasionally a speaker will lose sound on the right or left when she is cornering. It's never happened when I'm in the car, but that's only on weekends. ed

If I don't get the AC issue fixed this weekend, I'll just have to put her old stuff back in :$

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I have no idea how to troubleshoot the AC issues. If I had a full wiring diagram I could at least find out if it's getting power when I hit the button. If anyone has any idea what should get power when the AC button is activated I will check that. My wife has also told me that occasionally a speaker will lose sound on the right or left when she is cornering. It's never happened when I'm in the car, but that's only on weekends.

Did you splice the ground wire for any reason? I had to splice the ground wire for my backup camera, I used a T-tap at first, and it gave me the same problem where I lost sound on my speakers when cornering. Soldering those connections to ground seemed to have fixed that for me.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/23-entertainment-audio-navigation-electronics/122289-alpine-8-x008u-replace-navi-2.html
according to this thread, the HVAC for non-navi should be plug and play. Maybe you got a bad part?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you splice the ground wire for any reason? I had to splice the ground wire for my backup camera, I used a T-tap at first, and it gave me the same problem where I lost sound on my speakers when cornering. Soldering those connections to ground seemed to have fixed that for me.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/23-entertainment-audio-navigation-electronics/122289-alpine-8-x008u-replace-navi-2.html
according to this thread, the HVAC for non-navi should be plug and play. Maybe you got a bad part?
Yeah, I actually talked to him about my build. He helped a lot, but there is no way the one I got could have been plug and play, as the wires were in different spots in the harness, and in mine, the ones labeled M-CAN high and low on the stock harness (left) didn't go anywhere in the new harness (right). I wish I could find out what M-CAN is even for. Probably the AC somehow :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I finally had a chance to tear my wife's car open again, and turns out the AC problem was that the harness wasn't seating tightly into the climate control unit. I held it in tight and taped it in place, and it's all back together with fully working AC. As of now, the only potential problem is the sound going in and out of the speakers, but it's also possible that by taking everything apart and putting it back in place, maybe something else was loose and now it's not. I'll update again later after she's driven it some more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At the beginning you said you may have a guide or some pictures. Is that still possible?

Also, how did you wire the USB to connect to your phone. I didn't see you mention it yet. Sorry if you already did!

I've been waiting to do this until someone tried it and now I'm very excited.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I did not take pictures, sorry. Hopefully everything I put here is enough for someone else to tackle it.

For the USB, I just used a USB cabling coming out of the back of the head unit and ran it down to where the existing USB port is and stuck the female end out there. I'd rather it use the native plug, but I didn't want to mess anything up splicing a USB cable.

The only thing I am not 100% sure about is if there are multiple different versions of the climate control panel. My wiring harness did not match up, so I've got 30+ little wires spliced inside there. Make sure everything is TIGHT and won't move or unplug or you'll have headaches!

·
Registered
850 Posts
At the beginning you said you may have a guide or some pictures. Is that still possible?

Also, how did you wire the USB to connect to your phone. I didn't see you mention it yet. Sorry if you already did!

I've been waiting to do this until someone tried it and now I'm very excited.
I did not take pictures, sorry. Hopefully everything I put here is enough for someone else to tackle it.

For the USB, I just used a USB cabling coming out of the back of the head unit and ran it down to where the existing USB port is and stuck the female end out there. I'd rather it use the native plug, but I didn't want to mess anything up splicing a USB cable.

The only thing I am not 100% sure about is if there are multiple different versions of the climate control panel. My wiring harness did not match up, so I've got 30+ little wires spliced inside there. Make sure everything is TIGHT and won't move or unplug or you'll have headaches!
I made a TUT on how to retain the Factory USB and AUX ports. If anyone is interested you can check it out here.

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/66-diy-audio-navigation-electronics/138585-tut-retain-factory-usb-aux-ports-uvo-non-uvo-aftermarket-radio.html

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
12 Participants
jery911
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing