Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: It's installed and working!!! (see page 2)

I bought a new head unit for my wife's 2011 EX w/Navi+Infinity. I bought what I thought was all I needed, until I found out on Christmas Eve that installing in a car with the Infinity system is different from all of the others.I've already got:
  • Head Unit (Kenwood DDX9702S)
  • Metra Axxess ASWC-1
  • DDIN Faceplate
Now I need guidance for what else I need to purchase. Is this all I need?
  • Automatic climate control panel. I've found 4 part numbers, and not sure if they're any different and which one I need: 97250-2T100, 97250-2T101, 97250-2T110, 97250-2T1111
  • Axxess AX-CAM6V to retain my rear camera
  • Either HYBL-04 or HYKIA-01 to interface with SPDIF (which is better/easier?)
OR, does it make more sense to replace the Infinity amp and go aftermarket, and is that a serious undertaking that requires running new wires to speakers and the head unit?

·
Registered
15 Posts
To my knowledge replacing the factory navigation head unit with an aftermarket option is not possible. There are several threads which discuss how to tackle the problem on these forums, but unless something magical has happened in the last few months, you may be out of luck :/

EDIT: oh man now you're getting me going. From what I recall, you'll want to check around ebay for the 2011 non-nav climate control panel - there should be a few. Make sure that it matches the type of climate control you have in your vehicle currently (i.e. manual climate control vs. auto climate control).

For the SPDIF issue, the HYBL-04 looks like the easiest option. Swapping out the amp would also require you to swap out the speakers, as the connections on all of them aren't standard speaker wire (you'd need to rewire everything).

Please note that I haven't found anyone confirm these swap-outs work. If you end up going down this rabbit hole and it does work, PLEASE let us know what parts you used and what steps you took!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I hope I got the right climate control panel from ebay. I guess I'll find out.

I am going to order the HYBL-04, and it looks like either this weekend or next I'll get to dive in. It will take me 5 minutes to get the old stuff out. Hopefully I won't spend more than a couple hours playing around in there.

Any recommendations on other things I might need to make this easier on me? The last time I installed a car stereo was 15 years ago, in an early 90s Honda. In other words, VERY simple. This thing is much more complicated, and anyone that could give me guidance would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have color coded wiring diagrams for all of this?

Assuming I haven't wasted time and money on this, and I get it installed and everything working, I will provide a very detailed installation guide and video for everyone else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's where I initially posted my questions :)

Side note: I visit Lakeland almost every summer

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I'm reading, the more I regret getting the Infinity Nav system. I thought I was doing my wife a favor getting it, but now that upgrading isn't easy (or possible?) I wish I'd just gotten her the standard system.

If anyone can provide wiring diagrams for this system, it would be much appreciated. I'd pay for them at this point. I'd hate to have to sell all the stuff I bought.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your best option is to use an aftermarket processor and amps. The processor is where the real deficiency in the infinity system is anyways, it's just tuned like trash. They play the door speakers too low, the midranges too low, and have the timing and eq severely screwed up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I contacted a local stereo installer and he said he'll pass because he's looked into this car before :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got everything now (I hope I got the right pieces) so I will be starting this as soon as we have a day that my wife doesn't need her car for most of the day (in case I get lost in the wiring)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to bperry0118, I'm almost there with my install. The remaining items are:

-Getting the hang up and call buttons working with my head unit. I was able to manually program the other buttons on the AWSC-1 but those two were still not recognized. I will try again after I get ahold of a windows PC to update the firmware.

-Getting the reverse camera working correctly. I thought it was, because it turns on when I put it in reverse, and turned back off when I put it back in park, but my wife said the camera stayed on when she put it in drive. Unfortunately I finished it this morning right before she had to leave for work, so I sent her on her way, thinking it was all good

-The airbag indicator on the instrument panel was on, so I have to figure that one out.

A full wiring diagram with color coding would be awesome and make this 100 times easier.

Other than that, it sounds good, and I think everything else works. What little I played with CarPlay made me a tad jealous.

IMG_1848.JPG

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know what the wires marked as "M-CAN" (high and low) are for? These are connected to the back of the climate control panel in the nav system, but not on the climate control panel that has the small red screen.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks to bperry0118, I'm almost there with my install. The remaining items are:

-Getting the hang up and call buttons working with my head unit. I was able to manually program the other buttons on the AWSC-1 but those two were still not recognized. I will try again after I get ahold of a windows PC to update the firmware.

-Getting the reverse camera working correctly. I thought it was, because it turns on when I put it in reverse, and turned back off when I put it back in park, but my wife said the camera stayed on when she put it in drive. Unfortunately I finished it this morning right before she had to leave for work, so I sent her on her way, thinking it was all good

-The airbag indicator on the instrument panel was on, so I have to figure that one out.

A full wiring diagram with color coding would be awesome and make this 100 times easier.

Other than that, it sounds good, and I think everything else works. What little I played with CarPlay made me a tad jealous.

View attachment 190225
Great job sir! You're an inspiration to us all. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here is what I bought:

Kenwood DDX9702S head unit (good reviews for a CarPlay unit)

HYBL-04
ASWC-1
AX-CAM6V

DDIN faceplate
used automatic climate control panel off eBay

There were some oddities that I learned between the help from bperry0118 and tech support from Metra that I thought I'd share:

The wiring from the original climate control/audio control panel was different from the used one I bought on ebay. The replacement had an extra teal ground wire that I just tied into one of the others, and the original had a gray/black and brown/black that the replacement did not have (labeled M-CAN high and low) that I just taped off.

Other than that, it all matched up (though in different order on the plug). I just cut and spliced them one at a time, and everything worked fine.

The instructions for the HYBL-04 said to connect the green purple wire to the reverse wire of the head unit. My green/purple did NOT have any voltage when I put the car in reverse, so instead I spliced #9 on connector A (18 pin) which did have 12V when I put the car in reverse. This worked to turn on the camera when put into reverse.

AX-CAM6V connects to the blue/white wire to the red 12V, ground to #4 connector A and blue-red spliced into #11 connector A

an old RCA cable was cut and spliced to #2 (+) and #3 (-) on connector A

On the ASWC-1, use the wire that came with the HYBL-04, not the one that came with this.

I could NOT get the ASWC-1 to recognize the bluetooth steering wheel controls for call/hang up, so I contacted Metra. Turns out, to get that to work, you have to cut the green/orange wire between the factory harness and the HYBL-04 unit and tape it off (don't cut it AT the harness, because it splits into two). After that, auto program picked up all the controls correctly including the call/hang up buttons! (you do have to do an extra step for the bluetooth buttons as outlined in the full manual)

For the factory microphone, I cut the 3.5mm cable of the mic that came with the head unit, and spliced into #10 (+) and #22 (-). One thing I had to do, which I had remembered from a project I did a long time ago, was burn off the invisible coating from the individual strands of copper inside the mic wire. Just spread them out, hold a lighter under it and they catch fire for a second and then blow out. That would have driven me insane if it hadn't already done so on that previous project.

I think that's it. If I think of anything else, I will update this post.

I did not cut and splice the existing gps cable, usb cable or sirius cable, so I can't answer what or how to do those.

After all is said and done, everything works, and to me the sound is fine, though a little low (I didn't adjust the HYBL-04 before putting everything back together, so I may take it all apart one day to give it more volume). I'm not an audio nut. Obviously, if that's you, you'll probably want to just replace the amp and speakers anyway.

Again, MAJOR thanks to bperry0118, who probably got annoyed by my questions, and the tech support at Metra, who responded next day to my questions.

and again, the only problem is my airbag light is on now. I have to take it to the dealership to get that checked/reset :(

btw, is it possible to get an admin to edit the title of the thread? I'd like this thread to be marked as solved if possible

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I didn't notice until a couple weeks ago when it actually got warm, but I have no AC in the car and air only blows out the windshield vents no matter which setting I have it on.

I'd pay someone at this point to get this fixed but a local stereo shop didn't want to touch it (which is why I tried to do this all myself).

I'm guessing it's got something to do with the two wires that didn't match up with the climate control panel connector.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
12 Participants
jery911
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing