Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I bought a 2012 Kia Optima EX (85,300 miles) some13 months back. This is my first car and I don't know much about cars so asking a couple of basic questions, please bear with me.
1) I have driven the car for less than 4K miles in the 13 months since I owned it and never changed or added oil, thinking that I will do it when I hit 5K miles. When I checked yesterday, it was below the minimum level so I bought a quart of SAE 5W-20 Pennzoil and added it. When I checked the oil level later, it looks like I overfilled it. Please see the image and tell me if I added too much. Do I have to take it to a workshop immediately to rectify it?
2) Can I wait till I reach 90K miles for the service or can I do the 90K miles service now at 89.2K miles? I have never done any service in the last 13 months Since I owned it.
3) Is it better to take it to a Kia service center or an independent workshop? Will the Kia dealer be much more expensive? Do you have any suggestions for Greater Hartford area?

Mods: Please delete if I broke any rules or posted at the wrong place.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Glad you are interested in taking care of your car.
Do you know if the oil was changed right before you bought it? If not, change it asap.
How long after turning off the engine did you wait to check the oil, or did you check it cold?
The dealer will usually be more expensive and not necessarily better than an independent.

Reactions: Pearlspot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you are interested in taking care of your car.
Do you know if the oil was changed right before you bought it? If not, change it asap.
How long after turning off the engine did you wait to check the oil, or did you check it cold?
The dealer will usually be more expensive and not necessarily better than an independent.
I don't know if it was changed right before I bought. It was a well maintained car and I had it checked with an independent mechanic before buying it from a used car dealer.
I drove for 100 meters to the store and bought the oil from there and filled it right there. May be 5 minutes after stopping the engine.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,396 Posts
If oil change mileage criteria not meet, oil to be changed once p/year max.
Running a qt low won't hurt and if slightly overfilled, no problem. These engines
are junk and can use a great amount of oil so just be certain all updates are done
and best to take it to Kia for the first oil change. May be a little expensive, but if any
updates need to be done, they'll do them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts