Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP!

2013 Kia Optima EX engine problem

Car has 151,000 miles on it. Had starter replaced about 3 months ago. All oil changes and maintenance done on time.

Check engine light came on while driving home, didn’t think much of it. About 4 more miles down the road all the dash lights Came on and the car completely died. When I tried to restart it it barely ran and sounded bad. I pushed it home and it is now in the garage. Codes are P0302 and P0014. A video of my car attempting to run is attached at the top of this post. I’m just looking for any answers or help you guys can provide. Thank you.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
0302 is cylinder two misfire, not too bad.

But 0014 is one or more items per quick google:

What Is The Cause Of Code P0014?
  • Engine oil is dirty.
  • Engine oil is too low.
  • Engine oil is incorrect viscosity.
  • Camshaft variable timing solenoid failure.
  • Camshaft phaser is seized in the advanced position.
  • Continuous oil flow to Variable Camshaft Timing chamber.
I'd suggest taking/towing it to Kia. Luck and let us know what is found.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
I assume you did check the oil level, but it certainly sounds like something is dry, e.g. piston to cylinder wall.
I'd disconnect the serpentine belt and start it just to make certain nothing in the front is causing a problem. Sounds silly, but a few months ago had a '05 Jeep Hemi that wouldn't turn over, alternator was frozen solid.
Give that a try and we'll go from there.
Normally if the car dies when moving, especially a Kia or Hyundai, it is the engine that's gone south, and replaced under the recall, but if it's a mechanical problem other than the "debris" issue, the owner foots the bill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts