Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving our 2013 Kia Optima EX that we purchased from a friend with 150k miles. There was an oil change sticker in the window that was from less than 1000 miles ago. However we ran out of oil and the engine now has a knock in it and my mechanic said that it's ruined. Apparently, the car burned up all of the oil in 1,000 miles? Is this possible? I was reading on these forums that there was a recall for the 2013 Optima, I called our local Kia dealer and they said there are no recalls for my VIN. Am I just SOL? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
171 Posts
My wife was driving our 2013 Kia Optima EX that we purchased from a friend with 150k miles. There was an oil change sticker in the window that was from less than 1000 miles ago. However we ran out of oil and the engine now has a knock in it and my mechanic said that it's ruined. Apparently, the car burned up all of the oil in 1,000 miles? Is this possible? I was reading on these forums that there was a recall for the 2013 Optima, I called our local Kia dealer and they said there are no recalls for my VIN. Am I just SOL? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Some friend...

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,180 Posts
Do you have any way to know the order of events? You seem to think you know them, but don't be so sure.

Perhaps the engine started failing, like other engines that fail, developed the knock, and then it burned up all the oil as part of that failure. That's consistent with typical failures covered by warranty.

I don't see how you can know the order of events. How do you know that running out of oil happened first? That's unlikely, unless you saw oil pouring out of the tail pipe and dripping out of the engine onto the ground or something.

Who is your mechanic, and do they have any relationship with Kia?

Just trying to help. Get your story straight without assuming anything, you don't know anything but that there is an engine knock. Take it to Kia and they can check for the engine failure code. Don't volunteer or admit anything, just answer truthfully and don't make up any facts.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
344 Posts
Any check engine light on? Read it even if not on, to see if a pending code is set, like say a P1326.
How loud of a knock? Like a rod? (really, really loud)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
Fill it with used oil, and drive it until the cel comes on if it hasn't already, drive it until the car goes into limp mode, get it to the dealer and
they'll install new engine as long as you don't tell them you drove it with no oil, if in fact it didn't have oil, but the oil pressure light
should have been seen.

What you want is CEL on, and limp mode is when the computer will only allow the engine a 2000 rpm max, and if the engine seizes, all
the better, just another junk engine down the drain.

Don't feel too bad, the daughter's 2017 Santa Fe, 72,000 miles, never needed oil added, lost 3 qts of oil in a week+ after the oil was changed,
kept adding oil and engine seized two months later, new engine installed.

Also, when the dealership has the car, they're obligated to give a free loaner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My girls 2013 kept going thru oil then all of sudden just shut down and would turn on seized right up they replaced it cause of some matching defect in the engine

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car has been doing this lately too but I’ve also been driving it more than normal and of course Kia has no answers. But my car has 3 recalls. I have to keep checking the oil at the end of the week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My car has been doing this lately too but I’ve also been driving it more than normal and of course Kia has no answers. But my car has 3 recalls. I have to keep checking the oil at the end of the week.
yeah my girls car would suck thru it then one day the cel came on engine sounded funny no acceleration she shut it off and it was done wouldnt start after that she was cooked

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,375 Posts
Just keep it full and see if the engine eventually seizes and a new engine will be installed w/o cost. Only problem, if it's like my 2.0T, the engine was perfect except for a qt every 300 miles, but Kia did rise to the occasion and after an oil consumption test, they replaced the engine, 172,000 miles-12/2019.

Since that time they seem to have a change of heart, but write down the mileage when the engine sucks up a qt, and if very low miles, call Kia Cust. Service and see if they'll authorize the stealership to do the test. The test is nothing other than having the oil/filter changed, drive and bring back in @ 1,000 miles. They don't want you checking the oil, but I did after sitting overnight because I wouldn't put anything past the stealership, thought maybe they would overfill to account for the problem, but to my suprise, it was right on full. I took it back 750 miles, down two qts.

After the so called Tech pulled the valve cover to check engine, they spoke with Kia tech and an engine replacement was authorized.
A week+ later, car back, engine fine, but the stealership did a terribly sloppy job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah we had go talk to a few people and they still didn’t wanna help but after enough bitching to enough higher ups they gave in and replaced it this past summer

·
Registered
2013 Optima
10 Posts
My 2013 Kia Optima 2.4L LX had the engine replaced in November 2020. The old engine had 130K and consumed a quart every 400-miles. Contact KIA consumer affairs 800-333-4542. You need to explain your situation and they'll recommend the oil consumption test. You'll have to take it to a KIA dealer and have them do the test. You drive 1000-miles, bring it back and they check the oil level. If there check engine light, then good news, they'll recommend an engine replacement, BUT if you don't have a check engine light, you'll have to do a second test (at least that what I had to do). Consumer Affairs will give you a case number that the dealer uses to get the ball rolling to replace your engine. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts