Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Premium Touring Package. SWP
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, I've been reading/lurking for a couple of months. I recently purchased (March 20th) a 2012 SX. The Optima was top of my list for cars I was interested in. Early February I started talking to a local car wholesaler who occasionally sells some vehicles to the public about what cars he had coming in. He was sending me pictures of what he was buying and about a week after we had been talking he sent a picture of a SWP Optima SX he had just purchased. We discussed price, milage, etc. he then told me it would be a few weeks before he would have the car ready because as soon as it got in town he would be taking it to the dealer to have the engine replaced. When he got it in I went by to look it over before he took it to the Kia dealer. The car started and ran, we came to a handshake agreement and the next day it went to the dealer. About three weeks later he called telling me he had it back. I met up with him the next day and drove the car and looked over the paperwork. Kia of Chattanooga had installed a remanufactured longblock, new starter, done a service and maintenance inspection and I bought it with 27 miles on the new engine.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,550 Posts
Welcome and looks like you won't need to go throught the replacement engine process...........at least for now, but just remember that the replacement engine comes with a lifetime warranty.
Curious, how many miles on the car?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome and looks like you won't need to go throught the replacement engine process...........at least for now, but just remember that the replacement engine comes with a lifetime warranty.
Curious, how many miles on the car?
The car had 152,941 when it went in for replacement. I've put about 1,150 since I got it. I didn't baby her through break in period, nor did I drive her like I stole her

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,550 Posts
Give it an early oil/filter change @ 2k miles just as a safe guard and stick with 5-30 oil.
I had 171,000 on our '11 2.0T (excessive oil consumption) when the engine was replaced, now at 182,000 runs like a charm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input....I have been debating when I was going to do my first oil/filter change. I almost had it done yesterday but decide I would wait until at least 1500/2000 before I did

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,790 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @ELBscorp glad to have you with us.

Congrats on getting your 2012 Optima SX! That's awesome you are getting it with a fresh rebuilt engine.

Let us know if there is anything we can help you find to personalize your ride a bit.

The 2012 Optima SX SWP was my first Optima I got back in 2011, so I know it like the back of my hand.

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.

-David
K5 Optima Store

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well since you mentioned it....I do have my eye on the front struts tower brace in your store

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wheels were missing paint, pealing, lots of curb rash and scratches. The ugly factory center caps had dings all in them. Sunday I sanded and painted the left rear to try out the color and see how it looked. Monday I had to go to 5 stores to find 4 more cans of the paint. Tuesday I did two more and today did the final one

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Give it an early oil/filter change @ 2k miles just as a safe guard and stick with 5-30 oil.
I had 171,000 on our '11 2.0T (excessive oil consumption) when the engine was replaced, now at 182,000 runs like a charm.
Especially with summer coming up I feel I should run the 5w40 synthetic, most likely the Castrol Edge with a Kia filter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Especially with summer coming up I feel I should run the 5w40 synthetic, most likely the Castrol Edge with a Kia filter
I ended up waiting until 2,500 miles. I found a coupon and let Valvoline instant Oil Change do it and used the 5w30 conventional

1 - 13 of 13 Posts