Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this for my daughter to commute to college and go to work. She loves the car and I have been real impressed myself I must say!! lol

Got Aug 2021 with 30k and just turned 47k. I change the oil myself using Valvoline full synthetic 5w-20 every 3-4k. Did an induction service about a month ago. No issues so far but look forward to seeing how others are doing and what they do with their cars. I have been impressed with the hwy MPG as well!! For this size car some complain but its pretty good In this one.

I'm interested in learning more about the 2.4l and if problems persist in the 2020 version (if so best techniques if any to help or avoid issues) or if they actually have been fixed and general care to help all my cars live to their fullest!! Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
Welcome, and hate to say, the 2020 has the same crappy engine as the previous years, but as it's been discussed before, I'm not certain of the lifetime engine warranty as the settlement stops at 2019. Being the second owner, the drive-train warranty is only 60k miles so I suggest you give Kia a call to see their response as to inclusion into the lifetime engine warranty. I would also suggest, if they agree about the lifetime warranty, get said warranty in writing. .
Good luck with the car and just drive as usual and hope the engine isn't one that will cause problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, and hate to say, the 2020 has the same crappy engine as the previous years, but as it's been discussed before, I'm not certain of the lifetime engine warranty as the settlement stops at 2019. Being the second owner, the drive-train warranty is only 60k miles so I suggest you give Kia a call to see their response as to inclusion into the lifetime engine warranty. I would also suggest, if they agree about the lifetime warranty, get said warranty in writing. .
Good luck with the car and just drive as usual and hope the engine isn't one that will cause problems.
Great information and thanks so much for the reply. I will do that indeed. Also, curious about what % of the engines have major issues. I know someone in a 17' Sonata it died at 40k and was replaced free of charge, rental, etc.. Know an Optima with 135k with no issue. Guess luck of the draw as you say.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
I'd say it's around 20%, but the percentage will continue to rise as they continue to die, but production stopped with the 2020 model. One poster had said there were 17 cars waiting for engines at his dealership, and I know 5, other than the people on here, and 4 out of the five have had engines replaced. The fifth has a 2014 Sonata with only 15,000 miles. The four that were replaced, 71,000, 74,000, 86,000, and 172,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say it's around 20%, but the percentage will continue to rise as they continue to die, but production stopped with the 2020 model. One poster had said there were 17 cars waiting for engines at his dealership, and I know 5, other than the people on here, and 4 out of the five have had engines replaced. The fifth has a 2014 Sonata with only 15,000 miles. The four that were replaced, 71,000, 74,000, 86,000, and 172,000 miles.
Crapshoot for sure and I did see the post with 17 engines. Thanks for the details and advice. I'm going to push Kia on a 2020 stance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts