Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group!

My wife and I just purchased a 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid from CarMax, and we're loving it. Very smooth, very sleek, a wonderful car. I've come to these forums to ask around about the expectations of mpg with a 9 year old hybrid. We're only getting about 28, 29 if we're very careful. It seems low. I think it may be that the hybrid battery may be needing replacement, but I'm gonna research it a bit before I take that expensive step. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I hope you're all getting through the Covid situation well.

Tim S.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
Welcome Tim, and I'm really not a fan of the Hydrids, but must say I agree with you that 28/29 mpg is far from what I'd expect in the Hybrid, but guess a lot depends on the type of driving conditions and driving habits. Reading about the hybrid, many complain about the low mpg, but as to the problem, take the vehicle out on the open road for a trip of maybe 10 miles to see what the mileage might be.

I had a 2020 Kia Niro Hybrid to use while the engine was being replaced in the Optima, the EPA fuel mileage 46/51, but we saw 39 through @ 3 tankfuls. Although our driving was mostly non city, the car was terrible on the highway as any incline would cause the car to shift to the gas engine and it screamed trying to climb the hills as it was impossible to maintain speed. This is the only Hybrid I've ever driven, and once was enough for me.
Good luck.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

Sounds like you might be onto something when thinking the battery is going out.

I am not too familiar with the Hybrid models, but with a 9 year old battery, that sounds right.

-David
K5 Optima Store

1 - 3 of 3 Posts