Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

Ive had a heated plastic smell from my car for the past few years and I’ve been trying to troubleshoot it to no avail. I thought it was from my switchback resistors I installed under the dash to the metal support. I think I recently ruled them out because they only start to get hot on really long drives or using the hazards for a long time, and I don’t have any plastic or wires touching them either. It happens fairly quickly sometimes too, after maybe just a few minute drive, when I get out of the car I get a whiff of heated plastic. After disconnecting all my extra wires and lights it still present itself so I drove one time with the head unit and all connected audio equipment off too and voila, no heated plastic smell. Does anyone know what could be the culprit? I am going to be replacing my hu with a new pioneer carplay wireless model to replace this dinosaur app radio 2?...or maybe 3? That I have still. And I will be adding my old set of cdt audio component speakers with external amplification eventually too so hopefully the new hu amp shouldn’t even be on. I don’t think I really smell it Much or at all while driving, I usually just get a whiff of it when I open the driver door to get out. any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I will be checking it out on Monday when I have time...I already got a ground issue on my sub amp introducing noise that I gotta take care of (I never filed down/sanded the metal before placing the ground and it’s recently had some increasingly bad noise...possibly a hu ground issue too...could that be causing a smell from the under dash area?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
This may not be it, but I would recommend checking all of the fuses to make sure the smell is not coming from the fuse box itself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I am at a loss for where it comes from. Thought it was something with the stereo, but now I couldn’t replicate the smell even blasting my stereo today. I just ordered a laser thermometer to try and track down where the errant heat, and hopefully smell, is coming from. Could be something on the fuse box...thanks for the suggestion.

wish they had like a digital “nose” I could use to sniff it out...lol...or if I could train my dog to do it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This may not be it, but I would recommend checking all of the fuses to make sure the smell is not coming from the fuse box itself.
So haven’t been back on here in awhile, but wanted to follow up to clear the record. It had nothing to do with any of the lighting and mods I’ve done to the car. There was a plastic bag or plastic wrap that stuck and melted to my exhaust system. As the car heats up and drives the plastic eventually starts melting and giving off that smell. I was very relieved to finally figure this out. I will be grinding it off ASAP once I have the time to jack up the car on a nice day.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,736 Posts
So haven’t been back on here in awhile, but wanted to follow up to clear the record. It had nothing to do with any of the lighting and mods I’ve done to the car. There was a plastic bag or plastic wrap that stuck and melted to my exhaust system. As the car heats up and drives the plastic eventually starts melting and giving off that smell. I was very relieved to finally figure this out. I will be grinding it off ASAP once I have the time to jack up the car on a nice day.
Oh wow, that's great to hear it wasn't any mods! Glad you were able to get it figured out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts