Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first timer here. Great site.

Headlight driver side went out. Assuming bad bulb, I bought two new bulbs to replace both.

Replaced driver side. Didn't come on. Shortly after that, other headlight stopped working.

I could be crazy but before I replaced bulb that was totally out on driver side, passenger side was really dim. I haven't even tried to replace passenger side yet because I think there is a bigger issue.

If not bulb, what should I look for? I tried to find fuse/relay for headlights and I can't figure out from the manual where it is. Nothing says headlight or headlamp.

Only lights I currently have are high beam.

I looked over forum extensively for someone else with this problem, but can't find anything. Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
Only item I could say to check is the voltage at the connector, where the bulb would be inserted, then voltage before the "block" to see if 12 volts. Occasionally there can be some corrosion and the voltage will drop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Could it also be a fuse/relay? If so, can anyone tell me where that is? I can't seem to find.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,811 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums.

What year and model of vehicle are you asking about?

There is no indication of this in your profile, and no mention here either.

-David

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
Guess it can't be a fuse as one was out, one dim, if a fuse both would be out.
Can't really give more info until current/voltage at bulb is known.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey David,

Yeah, probably should have done that.

It's a 2011 Kia Optima LX

Any help appreciated.

Welcome to the Optima Forums.

What year and model of vehicle are you asking about?

There is no indication of this in your profile, and no mention here either.

-David

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,811 Posts
Hey David,

Yeah, probably should have done that.

It's a 2011 Kia Optima LX

Any help appreciated.
This issue is most likely the headlamps themselves, not the headlight bulbs.

There is an issue where the internal reflector of the headlamps deteriorate inside.

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) with Kia right now regarding this.

I would check with your local Kia dealer to see if your vehicle is covered by the recall/TSB.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
The Optima extended warranty for the headlights are for delamination inside the headlight where the reflector resides. In fact, when a claim is initiated Kia requires pictures be taken inside the headlights for proof of problem. This has nothing to do with the faulty wiring, or lack of current at the bulb. In fact, the bulb is inserted into the block outside the headlight then installed into the headlight opening.
Back to electrical problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Headlight driver side went out. Assuming bad bulb, I bought two new bulbs to replace both.

Replaced driver side. Didn't come on. Shortly after that, other headlight stopped working.

I could be crazy but before I replaced bulb that was totally out on driver side, passenger side was really dim. I haven't even tried to replace passenger side yet because I think there is a bigger issue.

If not bulb, what should I look for? I tried to find fuse/relay for headlights and I can't figure out from the manual where it is. Nothing says headlight or headlamp.

I looked over forum extensively for someone else with this problem, but can't find anything. Help would be appreciated.
Anybody know what this strip on my headlights are ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Anybody know what this strip on my headlights are ?
It's just there. The SX trims and up have an LED positioning light there (late LATE 2015 EX models got it as apart of the Technology Pkg). Our Optima has a chrome strip there.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Kia optima Kia motors

Reactions: Slc k5

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same exact problem with my 2017 kia optima both low beams went out but they are not blown n cant figure outwhat fuse it is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts