Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Kia Optima EX-
Ok so, when my 90lb son sits down in the front passenger seat, my headlights, interior lights and seat belt light will ding & flash, he can also make this happen if he bounces up and down on the seat. It will NOT at all do it for me. Is it a sensor in the seat? A bad grounding wire? I’ve asked a Kia tech and he’s stumped.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Odd. Guessing he's buckled in when this happens, right?
But it sounds like it stops on its own?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
I have a 2013 Kia Optima EX-
Ok so, when my 90lb son sits down in the front passenger seat, my headlights, interior lights and seat belt light will ding & flash, he can also make this happen if he bounces up and down on the seat. It will NOT at all do it for me. Is it a sensor in the seat? A bad grounding wire? I’ve asked a Kia tech and he’s stumped.
Maybe the vehicle is telling you that they shouldn't be sitting in the front seat.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,191 Posts
There is a sensor to detect if a passenger is sitting in the passenger seat, for purposes related to arming the passenger air bag or something. I've triggered my sensor when I put objects in the passenger seat (like groceries), and see the warning light for the passenger thing.

So maybe that sensor is shorted or grounded wrong, and messing with all the other electronics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a sensor to detect if a passenger is sitting in the passenger seat, for purposes related to arming the passenger air bag or something. I've triggered my sensor when I put objects in the passenger seat (like groceries), and see the warning light for the passenger thing.

So maybe that sensor is shorted or grounded wrong, and messing with all the other electronics?
I’ve asked 2 Kia techs and they are both stumped.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
17 Posts
The sensor in the seat is so the airbag doesn't activate when nobody is sitting there; it saves lots of money.

I'll take a WAG or two at it: (1) If it's not doing it with an adult in the seat, it might be that the sensor has a 90 lb "trigger" weight; i.e., 90 lbs is where it activates/de-activates to turn on/off the air bag. You could see what happens when you put a lighter weight in the seat; (2) The sensor might be going bad, and 90 pounds is where it gets really wonky. Either way, probably need to replace the sensor.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The sensor in the seat is so the airbag doesn't activate when nobody is sitting there; it saves lots of money....
I'll take it a Guess further and say perhaps, just perhaps the sensor is meant to save more than an airbag or some sum of money.

I think its meant to save a Life.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
I'll take it a Guess further and say perhaps, just perhaps the sensor is meant to save more than an airbag or some sum of money.

Front airbags are not meant to save a kids life, it's meant to save an adult life.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Front airbags are not meant to save a kids life, it's meant to save an adult life.
My point exactly! The flashing lights are attempting to tell someone something to that effect, put them in the backseat!!!!!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
17 Posts
I agree with that. Interesting point here, federal regulations don't specify what weight the sensor has to be set for, and it ranges from 37 lbs to 110 lbs. Each manufacturer sets it where they think it's right, and in 2013 they were required to publish it in the owner's manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts