Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 SX ... I've had the car for 45 days and noticed I have a headlight out. Still fairly unfamiliar with the car. Purchased replacement HID's from K5Optima. Took me a minute to even find the screw to get the weather seal cap off, ha.

Do I have to take the **** bumper off? Once I do, how do I replace the bulbs? I have yet to find an applicable video to an SX HID replacement situation. I need help. Please. Thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
2012 SX ... I've had the car for 45 days and noticed I have a headlight out. Still fairly unfamiliar with the car. Purchased replacement HID's from K5Optima. Took me a minute to even find the screw to get the weather seal cap off, ha.

Do I have to take the **** bumper off? Once I do, how do I replace the bulbs? I have yet to find an applicable video to an SX HID replacement situation. I need help. Please. Thank you!
You only need to take the bumper off if you are replacing the headlight housing. Bulb replacement is simple and straight forward. No need to touch the bumper.

https://youtu.be/vhiUecht7Fo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey ya thanks...im replacing factory HID not halogen...and I'm not 100% sure how
I have a 14 with the HID lights. Basically same thing as the halogen. Just wear gloves. You don’t want to get oils from your hands on the bulbs. Super easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 14 with the HID lights. Basically same thing as the halogen. Just wear gloves. You don’t want to get oils from your hands on the bulbs. Super easy.

Any easy tips on getting to that **** screw on the cap? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having a problem getting my new HID bulb plugged in. The old came out easy peasy, the electrical connector does not seem to have enough length to plug in before installing the bulb. If I install the bulb first, theres no room to get the plug into place. How do you plug in the bulb and get the bulb into it's place in the housing? I'm not a noob to changing bulbs, somethings whack here.

·
RedLeg O4
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Optima SXL which has a low beam bulb that has blown out. Thinking that replace HID bulb would be easy I bought two replacement DIS replacements which set me $225. Boy was I wrong when it became time to replace the bulbs. I was able to get the locking ring off, but trying to remove the bulb was impossible to do so. I tried to pry the holder off and all it did was get bent which is when decided to go to the local KIA to get a holder I was told that I would have to buy a complete headlight assembly which would cost $900 which didn't make any sense.

My question is do you have to buy a complete headlight assembly or is the an easier way to change the bulb. My second question is are bulb locking assemblies available? If so what are their costs.

Finally, is there a manual guide that walks you through the disassembly and reassembly?

Any assistance that you can make would be greatly appreciated.

v/r

Tom Rawlings

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2015 Optima SXL which has a low beam bulb that has blown out. Thinking that replace HID bulb would be easy I bought two replacement DIS replacements which set me $225. Boy was I wrong when it became time to replace the bulbs. I was able to get the locking ring off, but trying to remove the bulb was impossible to do so. I tried to pry the holder off and all it did was get bent which is when decided to go to the local KIA to get a holder I was told that I would have to buy a complete headlight assembly which would cost $900 which didn't make any sense.

My question is do you have to buy a complete headlight assembly or is the an easier way to change the bulb. My second question is are bulb locking assemblies available? If so what are their costs.

Finally, is there a manual guide that walks you through the disassembly and reassembly?

Any assistance that you can make would be greatly appreciated.

v/r

Tom Rawlings
Here is a video of a 2014 sorento with the HID bulbs. Same applies to the Optima. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Bob2C
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing