Kia Optima Forums banner

Headlight problems. How to remove the headlights and how to fixthe problem.

26K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Joe77999 
#1 ·
I have a problem with the driver side headlight. The headlight keeps dying on me. I am guessing it must be a short, They are not blowing but just not working. The first stopped and I replaced it with a new one and it worked for a short time then died. I replaced it again and nothing. Anyone had anything similar to this happen?

Also how do you remove the headlights? Does the bumper have to come off? If yes an tips on doing it? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

#4 ·
Are you using some crappy bulbs or are we taking OEM?

#6 ·
Thanks. I figured it out. I had to remove the bumper and remove the light to figure it out though. The bulb must not have been seated all the way in and had heated the connector up and melted it a little. The plastic melted and stopped one prong of the bulb from making contact. I was able to remove the plastic and it works now with no problems. I bought a broken headlight to mess with as I wanted to see how hard they were to bake open. They are not easy as they are way too big to fit into the oven. But I have a new connector I can swap out now if it happens again. I was using replacements bulbs but they were the expensive ones from advance auto parts. The titanium white Sylvania bulbs.

#10 ·
I have a problem with the driver side headlight. The headlight keeps dying on me. I am guessing it must be a short, They are not blowing but just not working. The first stopped and I replaced it with a new one and it worked for a short time then died. I replaced it again and nothing. Anyone had anything similar to this happen?

Also how do you remove the headlights? Does the bumper have to come off? If yes an tips on doing it? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Here's a good video; no bumper removal needed:
Here's a good video; no bumper removal needed:
About a year ago I started getting the alert that my driver’s side headlight was out when I would turn on the car and it ran the scan. But I could turn the car back off and on and it would work. When it rained I would get the alert. When I partied up against a wall I would get the alert. I could put a black towel over the driver’s side headlight and recreate the situation. I brought it into a dealership and they couldn’t find anything wrong and couldn’t recreate it even with everything I told them. They told me to come back when the alert stayed on all the time. Fast forward almost a year. The alert turns on in the middle of a sunny day with the lights on auto. And at night I have one headlight that I can no longer get to work. Bring it back to the dealership. They tell me they found the problem and I spend $400 for them to CHANGE THE BULB! I drive to work the next morning and the alert that the headlight is out comes back on as soon as I enter the parking garage. We test again my theory that it’s some sensor by standing in front of the headlight before starting the car and again the light is out and alert is on. I have an appointment in the morning with the dealership though I’m sure they will ignore me again. ??‍♀

#12 ·

I am having the same problem as you. I can actually hit my drivers side fender just enough to move headlight or shake it and i can get the bulb to work but goes back out shortly after and the bulbs are not burnt out . I am a electrician and it seems like a bad connection some where just don't know where .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.