Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL (Normandy SR2)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading over the forums but I can't seem to get a straight answer.

I've got a 2013 optima with backup camera, steering controls, infinity surround, dual zone auto climate control, navigation, and sirius. The aftermarkert head units don't retain the auto climate control, and none of them I saw retained the backup camera.

I don't use the maps because they're from the stone age, I don't use sirius because it's not worth paying for it IMO.

I was looking at the tesla style head unit as a swap but if it's slow and buggy I don't want to risk me punching it if it doesn't work.

Here's the only thing I want, android auto. I have seen the threads with swapping out the stock unit with an after market one and then switching the climate control but I don't really want to do that if I can avoid it. I will if there is no other way but kindof on a budget. And the one on the k5optima store is way more expensive than I can manage.

Could I switch out my "top of the line" head unit for a similar stock one from a newer model car that does have the premium sound and android auto?

I am getting a new engine so after new suspension and such I'd like to get that one feature that is eluding me.

·
Registered
2015 kia optima lx 2.4l
1 Posts

I've got a 2013 optima with backup camera, steering controls, infinity surround, dual zone auto climate control, navigation, and sirius. The aftermarkert head units don't retain the auto climate control, and none of them I saw retained the backup camera.

I don't use the maps because they're from the stone age, I don't use sirius because it's not worth paying for it IMO.

I was looking at the tesla style head unit as a swap but if it's slow and buggy I don't want to risk me punching it if it doesn't work.

Here's the only thing I want, android auto. I have seen the threads with swapping out the stock unit with an after market one and then switching the climate control but I don't really want to do that if I can avoid it. I will if there is no other way but kindof on a budget. And the one on the k5optima store is way more expensive than I can manage.

Could I switch out my "top of the line" head unit for a similar stock one from a newer model car that does have the premium sound and android auto?

I am getting a new engine so after new suspension and such I'd like to get that one feature that is eluding me.
Look into iDatalink mastro rr. When paired with a kenwood pioneer or alpine head unit it will allow you to keep everything but the USB and aux port. If you can't find it with a Google search go to crutchfield n search there

·
Registered
2 Posts

I went through the same experience. Hassel around every corner, I ended up with a nice 10" android tablet that replaced everything bar the camera and climate control but I'm working on a usb interface for the camera and trying to work out the cc

·
Registered
191 Posts
You have to buy modules so all that stuff will work! I replaced my head unit and had to buy like three modules so that my back up camera, steering wheel controls and Sirius radio would work

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd still consider the climate control swap. I found this for $44. You might end up saving money in the end since it'll open up more options. You'd probably have to purchase a double din panel anyway so that makes care of replacing the missing panel.

Steering wheel controls would be maintained with a module like someone else mentioned. I had one in a former car and the voice button mapped to my phone's digital assistant which was handy.

You'll probably have to buy a new back up camera though. Also in my experience I couldn't retain my factory mic so they had to install the one that came with the stereo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts