Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an Optima EX 1.6T with 7 DCT. It's smooth as silk so far, and very likable to drive when she lets me. :)

I bought the car on impulse, got a good price and trade, so I didn't have time to research. So naturally, I researched after I bought the car.
Also naturally, my research turned up a ton of very unhappy Optima owners with the DCT in the 2015, 16, and 17 cars, which you already know about.

Have the DCT problems been sorted in the 2019 models? What is your experience with it in your 2019-2020 model Optima? Is there any signs, symptoms, or special care that (naturally) the dealer never told me about?

Many thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,541 Posts
They're all the same throughout the years of production, dry clutch system, but from what I read, the 2020 Hyundai and the 2021 Kia will dump that trans.

Seems that they, Hyundai/Kia "experiment" with designs that aren't thoroughy tested and find that in the real world those designs fail considerably. Direct injection engine finally had another injector installed to clean the intake valve in the 2020 Hyundai, and hopefully the engines won't self destruct as the earlier designs, along with dropping the terrible DCT, 2021 Kia to follow with changes.

Just thought I'd add, Hyundai had a class action suit filed against them because of the DCT problems, and because of the settlement, looks like Hyundai's going to pay out more money.
Will it ever end?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DCT is an old design, and very successful in some makes. I don't feel like a beta tester, and I like the smooth, responsive 7 speed tranny so far. I also like the 100K warranty, but of course it's better if you don't have to use it, which is why I asked.

Thanks for the info, Turbonut.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima
6 Posts
Very disappointed in my 2019 DCT. It is fine on the road, but shows itself during slow starts from stop, bumper to bumper traffic, or pulling into parking space. As I ease forward, the car jerks and quivers, like a slipping clutch. Took it in when new and dealer said that was normal...just the engine pulling at low rpm. I dont believe it. Had several turbo Kias and all were very smooth under same situations described. Is mine one of a kind issue or is this how all Kia DCT function?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weatherman1940, I only have 2-3 months and 2-3K miles on mine. So far I haven't heard of felt a peep out of the DCT. I love it so far, it shifts like butter. Now, I do live in an area that's flat as a pancake, so no hills and little traffic to aggravate the clutches. Next time I have a chance, I'll accelerate harder than normal to see if the acceleration feels about right for a car of that weight and power.

Just wondering, could the engine mode switch set to "economy" (or whatever it's called) make the DCT bypass 1st gear?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts