Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to replace my brake pads with ceramic...(white rims..less dust)....looking on KGIS it would seem some kind of software management is required when changing rear pads on vehicles with electronic parking brake..
Am I really going to have to take it to a Kia dealership to change pads ?.......Anybody have any experience here ?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX
229 Posts
To do so correctly, yes, you will need to head to the dealer. Unless you happen to have your own personal GDS :)

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts
I have yet to encounter any problems with EPB system or done a brake job on the new cars with them yet but i do believe you have to use the GDS to contract the piston. I'm not 100% sure but i also think you can use an allen key/socket to accomplish this. The electric motor is actually belt/gear driven kind of like a timing belt/chain that retracts the piston when the brake is applied and whatnot.

·
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have yet to encounter any problems with EPB system or done a brake job on the new cars with them yet but i do believe you have to use the GDS to contract the piston. I'm not 100% sure but i also think you can use an allen key/socket to accomplish this. The electric motor is actually belt/gear driven kind of like a timing belt/chain that retracts the piston when the brake is applied and whatnot.
Thanks to everyone for your input, certainly looks like it is not a job I can do myself !........really prefer to do all my own maintenance....but I guess some things are not possible with todays technology.

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts
You can always check on kiatechinfo.com as i plan on looking at the shop manual on the GDS tomorrow for you to be sure and to know for myself if the GDS is absolutely neccessary as i don't believe it is but want to be 100% sure.

·
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can always check on kiatechinfo.com as i plan on looking at the shop manual on the GDS tomorrow for you to be sure and to know for myself if the GDS is absolutely neccessary as i don't believe it is but want to be 100% sure.
Thank you, that would be great. I looked at the KGIS site and it shows this procedure using the GDS tool and software...I look forward to seeing what you come up with, seems you know a lot more about these systems than I do !
Again, I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So wait, with the electronic parking brake the configuration is not drum in hat? Meaning there are not drum brakes for parking and pads for stopping?
How would it even know that you changed the pads? 20 minute job total since the rears are split pin slides.
This is very confusing to me.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima SX
229 Posts
So there is an emergency release procedure for putting the piston back into the caliper. It involves removing the EPB motor. But Again. to CORRECTLY do it, a GDS would need to be used. Just make good friends with a Kia tech. A hand full of them are now having their own GDS's.

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts
You do need the GDS but you can also use an allen key socket if you open up the motor cover that is on the back of the caliper. As far as the drum parking brake system that is only used on the non sxl models (lx,ex,sx) the sxl models and all cadenza and K900 models use this EPB system that eliminates the drums altogether and uses the electric motor to hold the pads to the rotor. Its a complicated system and i never use mine ever on my sxl simply bc i can see them breaking someday. Can't wait to have our first problem car with an issue.

·
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do need the GDS but you can also use an allen key socket if you open up the motor cover that is on the back of the caliper. As far as the drum parking brake system that is only used on the non sxl models (lx,ex,sx) the sxl models and all cadenza and K900 models use this EPB system that eliminates the drums altogether and uses the electric motor to hold the pads to the rotor. Its a complicated system and i never use mine ever on my sxl simply bc i can see them breaking someday. Can't wait to have our first problem car with an issue.

Well thanks again to all for helping out with my question, I spoke with a tech today and he told me that the OE brake pads I have right now are ceramic anyway !....(which was the whole point of me changing because I presumed they were metallic )...So, looks like, at least for now, I don't need to change them.
at least now I know what to expect when the time comes !....Thanks again everyone who took time to look for the answer.

·
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, not quite clear here...so can I do this without a GDS or no ??.......

·
Registered
2013 Kia SX
505 Posts
You do need the GDS to retract the poston I haven't serviced the rear brakes on an EPB system yet. When i was at training for the cadenza though i remember being told if you unplug the eletric connector and pop the cover off the motor in the back of the caliper you can retract the piston with an allen key.

·
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You do need the GDS to retract the poston I haven't serviced the rear brakes on an EPB system yet. When i was at training for the cadenza though i remember being told if you unplug the eletric connector and pop the cover off the motor in the back of the caliper you can retract the piston with an allen key.
I guess I'll soon find out as I plan to change out my rotors soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did this and it worked fine (drill with torx bit) but then ingot too aggressive on the second side and striped the bolt, which i cannot find anywhere, so now have to buy a new caliper

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is true but it is a torx bit not allen key - i did this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts