Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if you guys think is possible to take the leather seats ( with heating and cooled ) from a higher model optima same 4th gen body style and put it in my base model 2018 optima, With the switch as well to have functioning heated and cooled seats in my base model... I know a junk year where I can get the seats and button where the heated and cooled seats go near the shifter . But you think the wiring would allow that or do you think I would need something more ?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,217 Posts
Anything can be done, but from a practicality standpoint probably a bad idea as the factory wiring would be a nightmare to emulate.
My advice is to add some aftermarket seat heater elements to your current seats, fairly easy, and I've even used factory locations to install the switches, not on a Kia though. As far as the cooled seats, that's really a play on words, the seats are ventilated as they only move cabin air through the seats, and if some believe that the air flow will blow a paper off the seat, dead wrong. You can feel air movement, but not what I expected when I purchased the car many years ago.

·
Registered
13 Ebony SXL Turbo Touring & Tech Pkgs: Original Everything 195K Drag wheels
440 Posts
In addition the seat heaters are not very robust (hence go with aftermarket as Turbonut suggests), even my 01' 4runner's original seat heaters create more heat you can feel on the seat bottom/backs, really, really useful to bring food home piping hot from curbside pickups!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I dont know anything about aftermarket seat heating/cooling systems.
So, I would go with OEM 100%. WHY? Because the wiring connectors are already designed to fit perfectly with the OEM harness. The switches are designed to fit in the blank spots next to the shifter.
Now on to the seat heaters. My stock units already work as advertised, however a bit slow to heat up. I use my remote start to get the car warm or cold, then turning on the seat heating or cooling isn't as big a deal.
The #1 thing you need to worry about is FIRE. Aftermarket seat heaters have all kinds of wiring. If any of it is exposed, crossed, or the heating elements are too hot the foam in the seats could catch fire. COULD. Not probable...but it could happen.
Lastly, you have to take the seat covers at least partially off to get the elements and fans in. This is a fairly big job. Lots of stress on the sear covers could cause them to tear.
Good luck! Please let us know how it turns out!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
In addition the seat heaters are not very robust (hence go with aftermarket as Turbonut suggests), even my 01' 4runner's original seat heaters create more heat you can feel on the seat bottom/backs, really, really useful to bring food home piping hot from curbside pickups!
Maybe the covering on your seats is restricting airflow. Do you have the little holes in the leather seating surfaces?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.