Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't figure out where to post this, but felt it might come in handy, especially seeing as how our cars do have smaller than average viewing angles out the back...

A lot of the "turning" type accident's I've seen on car crash channels on YouTube could be avoided if people just set their rearview mirrors properly...

Basically, from the driver's seat without turning your head, and using only your eyes, each mirror should have a full view of the lane beside you, and should overlap with the center mirror as little as possible. (You should not be able to see the sides/door handles of your own car in your side mirrors unless you turn your head fully) Also, the horizon line/vainshing point of the roadway should be roughly 2/3rds up the mirror.

This way, you can see when a car moves out of your center mirror, and into the side mirror, which as a result of the way the mirrors are now set drastically shrinks the traditional "blind spot" area, which shouldn't actually exist. Basically, the only "blind spot" should be much farther up the side of the car, and you can see into it by turning your head slightly, without taking your focus off the road ahead.

I hope you all find this as helpful as I did!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,542 Posts
Yes, most side mirrors are improperly adjusted to show the side of the car which hides most of the adjacent lanes (because big blind spots). This picture shows that error below, and also shows the right way above.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
575 Posts
On my Kia I just rely on the BSM (in conjunction with Lane Assist) to let me know if I'm about to impede into an occupied lane.... ;)

LOL I jest--I don't rely solely on those tech aids; good advice on properly setting your mirrors--not many folks set their mirrors correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No idea why I've been driving like this my entire life. It's as if there was some unwritten rule that said you needed to see part of the car when you set the mirrors. I actually started to use the mirror correctly by accident.

Ready for this?

I was having trouble turning the mirror inward (incorrectly, like I always have) because the motor wasn't allowing it. The reason it wasn't allowing it was because the previous owner had cracked the original mirror and stuck a replacement ON TOP of the broken one, making the mirror thicker and not allowing it to move correctly within the housing. And I was like...hmm....this is actually a better view! LOL

I ordered a replacement mirror and now drive with them in the correct positions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts