Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird thing happening; it first happened 4 days ago, I stopped the car put it in neutral and the 'N' did not appear on the display. Tried 'P' 'D' 'R'.... Nothing appeared, so turned the car off and on again and it worked fine until today but now when switching to 'N' the digits disappear for a sec and then appear again. Any Idea what might be wrong??

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
416 Posts
Mine does the same randomly. My torque app also shows cel code pending for electronic shift solenoid if I remember right when it happens. All I do is put it in neutral and restart the car and its back to normal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
416 Posts
For how long this is happening with you? And does it happen while driving in Automatic or Sports Mode or both?!!?!

I would have to say I noticed it happening the last 3 months. Besides not seeing the gear indicators I can tell it shifts rougher that's the most noticeable part besides my app telling the fault code.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here...i also noticed rough gear changes when this happens. From your experience, is this considered serious? I have my 40K maintenance in about 2K Km so shall i take the car earlier for inspection??

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
416 Posts
I'm sure it's not good for our car at all but nothing we can do unless cel light comes on or dealer can replicate the issue

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you happen to be near a dealership the next time it happens, drive straight over and do not shut it off. Tell them what's happening and show them, including explaining that if you shut the car off and start it again, that it stops doing it. Otherwise, unless there's a code "pending" that hasn't turned on the MIL, or unless they've seen the problem before, there's a TSB, etc., they're unlikely to be able to diagnose it.

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,295 Posts
I think I know what it is. The same thing is happening to my buddy's 11 sportage and it finally pulled up the code one day. When I looked it up, it said the transmission temp sensor is at fault. He had a really hard shifts between gears and the car went into limp mode twice while i was with him a few hours.

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,295 Posts
Oh and I forgot to add that his gear didn't show up either. No digits in manual mode nor PRND.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,893 Posts
This just happened to me this morning, when leaving for work. I put it in reverse, to back up and get ready to leave, and when putting it in drive there was a very noticeable "clunk" that scared the crap out of me. I looked at the dash and there was no gear selection on the screen. I put it in Park and back into Drive, same clunk. I turned it off, turned it back on, and it never happened again.

I think it might have something to do with temperature, because when I first started it the transmission was still cold and I had just started the car.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Wasn't there a trans temp sensor TSB?

·
Registered
2012 K5
2,295 Posts
Wasn't there a trans temp sensor TSB?
I believe so and some dealers are aware of it but nothing can be done with no CEL on.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This just happened to me this morning, when leaving for work. I put it in reverse, to back up and get ready to leave, and when putting it in drive there was a very noticeable "clunk" that scared the crap out of me. I looked at the dash and there was no gear selection on the screen. I put it in Park and back into Drive, same clunk. I turned it off, turned it back on, and it never happened again.

I think it might have something to do with temperature, because when I first started it the transmission was still cold and I had just started the car.
I live in the desert with a temp of million degrees so i don't think it's related to cold trans. :) Seriously, this happened with me after a half hour drive so the transmission had all the tome to warm up.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A mysterious member text me this: "Code P0705 Transmission range sensor circuit malfunction active" i did a little search and found out that it is very common and might be as simple as a dirty switch or sensor cable out of place or more serious as a faulty sensor. Which makes sense to me coz whatever is the problem it is related to something electronic as if the car isn't recognizing in which gear the transmission is until we restart the car thus resetting the sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 literally just did the same. I'm having no shift issues slipping nothing. The light just went off parked it cut off Cranked it back up and it was back on.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
629 Posts
My 2011 literally just did the same. I'm having no shift issues slipping nothing. The light just went off parked it cut off Cranked it back up and it was back on.
Same for me in prior 2011 Sonata Ltd; Drove to dealer and mistakenly cut the engine; When they looked to check, No Code showed & All was well.
I was back in 2 weeks and they read the P0705 Fault code and Replaced (Tran Range / aka Inhibitor) Switch (per <5 age and <60K miles) under warranty..
Alert your dealer and Be Prepared for a (likely) Repeat......Leave Engine ON at Arrival @ Dealer.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Weird thing happening; it first happened 4 days ago, I stopped the car put it in neutral and the 'N' did not appear on the display. Tried 'P' 'D' 'R'.... Nothing appeared, so turned the car off and on again and it worked fine until today but now when switching to 'N' the digits disappear for a sec and then appear again. Any Idea what might be wrong??

Speed Test
Otherwise, unless there's a code "pending" that hasn't turned on the MIL, or unless they've seen the problem before, there's a TSB, etc., they're unlikely to be able to diagnose it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts