Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read the gdi engines can get carbon or sludge build up over time. Is this true? How has the experience with high mileage gdi engines been in this forum?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,170 Posts
To answer the questions, first I assume you're aware of the crappy designed engines installed in theses cars so maybe 10% will seize at some point in time regardless or the maintenance. Having said that, some do use CRC intake cleaner to keep intake vlaves from buildup, and some do install a catch can to keep the "oily" vapors from also getting to the intake valve.
Now, how necessary are these items, really don't know, but when I had the 2.0T engine replaced at 172,000 miles, never had a cleaning done, and never installed a catch can., the engine ran fine except for the qt of oil every 325 miles.

Really no definitive answer, but if one were leary of the buildup, the aforementntioned could be done, but would it save an engine from seizure, no.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
89 Posts
My 19' Santa Fe 2.4 GDI runs excellent at 17.4k. But if I were car-shopping today and wanted a South Korean model, I'd shop their MPI engines-only.

I hate the sooty/carbon engines and our other South Korean model (Soul MPI engine) exhibits clean exhaust, not black smoke upon cold startup, like our 19' Santa Fe 2.4 does. It does run fantastic and the dipstick oil doesn't smell like fuel at 3.5k, which is the furthest mileage I will go on an OCI.

When shopping, I was smart enough to avoid the turbo engines. Just not GDI-smart at the time (October 2018).

Never-ever again. If someone were to steal our Santa Fe GDI tomorrow, I would not send a private search party out looking for it. If the police never recovered it, I'd be satisfied with an insurance company settlement.

I have plenty of money and could easily absorb a monetary (today's value) loss. Regret not buying the new RAV4 or CRV at the time, for around $3k more. Found a couple on the lot and neither had the turbo GDI engine

·
Registered
133 Posts
Our 2011 EX 2.4 with over 60k on it gets great gas mileage and runs like a top. Uses no oil between 6000k changes

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
247 Posts
Maybe they do buildup but I've not noticed any impact. I've got a '13 sxl (2L turbo) with almost 189k, burns little oil in 5K oci's, no smoke at any time and still gets 22.5/33 on regular top tier gas. It has never been cleaned internally so who knows what it looks like yet it runs like a bat out of heck!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,115 Posts
Our 2011 EX 2.4 with over 60k on it gets great gas mileage and runs like a top. Uses no oil between 6000k changes
6000k between changes??? ;) How did you manage to get 6000k (miles) on a car that has only 60k (miles) on it? ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok, Ok, it was a fat finger:rolleyes:.
So, to be precise :rolleyes:.......our Kia has 60k (aka 60,000) divided by 6k (aka 6,000) which is 10 oil changes ;).

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 19' Santa Fe 2.4 GDI runs excellent at 17.4k. But if I were car-shopping today and wanted a South Korean model, I'd shop their MPI engines-only.

I hate the sooty/carbon engines and our other South Korean model (Soul MPI engine) exhibits clean exhaust, not black smoke upon cold startup, like our 19' Santa Fe 2.4 does. It does run fantastic and the dipstick oil doesn't smell like fuel at 3.5k, which is the furthest mileage I will go on an OCI.

When shopping, I was smart enough to avoid the turbo engines. Just not GDI-smart at the time (October 2018).

Never-ever again. If someone were to steal our Santa Fe GDI tomorrow, I would not send a private search party out looking for it. If the police never recovered it, I'd be satisfied with an insurance company settlement.

I have plenty of money and could easily absorb a monetary (today's value) loss. Regret not buying the new RAV4 or CRV at the time, for around $3k more. Found a couple on the lot and neither had the turbo GDI engine
Why do you avoid turbo engines?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts