Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,305 Posts
Now, fill it up again, then divide the miles driven by gallons to fill, and you'll get the mpg which is more acurate than just the miles driven.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
586 Posts
We're basically at the Dr's office with "my stomach hurts" and trying to know Why without any more info.
For an 18.5 Gal tank .... IF THAT gauge position is actually 15 Gal used then 262/15 = 17.46 mpg.
MPG is affected by City or Hiway, heavy Vs light foot, Eco/Reg vs Sport mode, (big one) # Red Lights involved.
I had a week where local driving involved few lights and my usual 22/23 showed 29 on the mpg dash data (usually within 1 mpg of actual).
Tell us more about the above stats (ie) 80% local , # red lights, Reg or Sport, etc., and you'll get a better answer.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,145 Posts
Also the fuel level indicator is still above the empty mark. You will likely be able to keep driving even after the indicator goes below the empty mark. But I don't have your specific model. On my 2012 SX, I can keep on driving quite a bit after the empty mark. I've never run completely empty but got close, as I could tell how many gallons I put in on the next fill up.

So you might be miscalculating if you assume you are using a full tank of gas. Best to count the miles, and then count how many gallons you put in at next fill up, for best accuracy. So you have a full tank. Reset the odometer, drive until empty, note how many miles you drove, then when you fill up next, note the mileage to see how much gas was used to cover those miles.

·
Registered
2017 Optima EX
20 Posts
On my 2017 Ex 2.4 I average about 29-32 mpgs highway 60 -70 mph late at night no traffic work commute.
This is what the dash shows me when I shut off the car just like your picture.
This is in ECO. Always manual shift which is the best part of this car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fill up your tank completely and reset both trip meters and the fuel economy display. That way your current speed and mileage calculations will be based on 0.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We're basically at the Dr's office with "my stomach hurts" and trying to know Why without any more info.
For an 18.5 Gal tank .... IF THAT gauge position is actually 15 Gal used then 262/15 = 17.46 mpg.
MPG is affected by City or Hiway, heavy Vs light foot, Eco/Reg vs Sport mode, (big one) # Red Lights involved.
I had a week where local driving involved few lights and my usual 22/23 showed 29 on the mpg dash data (usually within 1 mpg of actual).
Tell us more about the above stats (ie) 80% local , # red lights, Reg or Sport, etc., and you'll get a better answer.
Average speed of 16mph. Seems like a lot of city driving, stop and go, idling, etc.

·
Registered
2013 Optima
9 Posts
Do you mostly drive stop and go? Because your mileage is terrible. I own a 2013 EX, on the second engine (replaced under warranty at 130K in November 2020 due to oil consumption), currently at 144K, and drive 415-miles a week of mostly highway miles to and from work. If I fill the tank on Monday morning, by Friday after returning home from work the gauge will read 1/8th tank left.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your fuel economy seems low to me.
However, you say that your car is a 2016 2-liter.
Edmunds dot com shows the 2016 2-liter is a turbo, and you didn't mention a turbo (which seems relevant), and that would only be on the SX trim level.
If your car is an EX, it should be a normally aspirated (non-turbo) 2.4 liter, and the specs should be as follows:
Combined EPA mileage of 28, Cty/Hwy mileage of 24/35 mpg, fuel capacity of 18.5 gal., and range of 444.0/647.5 mi. (City/Hwy)
(if it is a turbo, the 2 liter turbo should be about 25 combined economy, 22 city/32 hwy, 18.5 gal. capacity, and a range of 407.0/ city 592.0 hwy.)

As for my experience, my wife absolutely loves the fact that our 2012 Optima EX can got from our home in Olympia, Washington to Redding, California (where our daughter lives) on a full tank of gas, which is just about 500 miles.
When we fill it up, the "miles to empty" figure is usually about 480 to 520, as we're usually driving in the city more than highway (and we've NEVER gone close to 647 miles on a tank!)
Our car has about 123k miles, has the normally aspirated 2.4 liter, and the car is always in ECO mode (I can't really tell the difference, and my wife loves better fuel economy!).
I say all that to say that your fuel economy seems lower than it should be, but all the recommendations here related to further research seem to be on the right track.
Keep an eye on it, and hopefully the longer-term picture is better than this post seems to suggest.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are multiple variables involved in computing MPG, many of which are pointed out above. One or two tank fulls is not enough. Compute for multiple fill-ups. MPG problems don't happen over overnight. They build over time.

Since my very 1st fillup for my very 1st car ever (& I'm over 80 years old), I've recorded each and every fillup. Of course, I began only because my big brother kept a tally. Anyway, a drop in mpg (over several tank fulls) might indicate a developing problem. It never hurts to keep an eye out for potential problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts