Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Optima SX and over the last couple weeks I have noticed my digital gas reading going down a lot faster. I did have some work done on my turbo a few months ago from the dealer and now the turbo makes a noise that it never made before and wondering if this might have something to do with that. I also had to accelerate pretty quick to merge on the freeway and the car sputtered and did not go but it has only done this once. I am thinking maybe I need spark plugs or maybe fuel injector cleaning? I am really not sure what to try so if anyone has experienced this issue please try and help point me in the right direction. I appreciate your help and thank you

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
How many miles on your spark plugs now?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 120,000 on the car total and I believe the spark plugs were replaced when they swapped out the engine for a recall at 80,000 but I could be wrong on that I would need to look at the paperwork. So to answer your question I really dont know. :unsure: I searched this issue and it seems like it can be a lot of different things but I probably need to do the plugs anyways so I figured I would try that first.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
There is an electronic control for the turbo that can be adjusted. Maybe they didn't properly adjust it?

You can check the wastegate adjustment yourself (couple of ways, either using an app on the phone or a multimeter), or ask the shop to check.

My concern is the new sound the turbo is making. Would you say it's completely new/different, or could it be that the turbo is just working more or less for a given throttle position and that's the different sound?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
Check wastegate voltage, check for intake leaks in hoses, connections, intercooler crack.
Plugs won't change fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ours went down about 10% lately and I noticed the tire air pressure was low, but not enough to trigger the tpms. I'm hoping it comes back now.
BTW, lack of maintenance can add up to poor performance. Things like spark plugs, air filters, air pressure, etc...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,597 Posts
Ours went down about 10% lately and I noticed the tire air pressure was low, but not enough to trigger the tpms. I'm hoping it comes back now.
BTW, lack of maintenance can add up to poor performance. Things like spark plugs, air filters, air pressure, etc...
Actually plugs and air filter won't change the mileage, unless there is a dead cylinder.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Whatever...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts