Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2013 Kia Optima LX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Optima LX has always burned a bit of oil since I bought it with 28k miles on it, it has ~63k now. Recently it has had various issues that are listed in my recent posts.

Essentially it has started letting a significant amount of gas into the oil, which I assume has to be getting past the pistons rings? It's enough that I can see the oil level rise within ~5 days I'd say.

I know this engine is part of a settled class action lawsuit against Kia for the excessive oil consumption and I'm hoping this would fall under that. What do you guys think? I'm hoping they won't fight replacing the engine/fixing whatever needs to fixed since it's a known defect? I'm worried they'll say they won't fix it because I haven't kept receipts for oil changes, though I've always done them.

I assume I would need to take it to a Kia dealer to get it looked at? Not an independent shop? I just want to make sure because I live a fair distance away from a Kia dealer and do not want to have to drive back and forth if avoidable.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,987 Posts
The settlement is for the 'debris' issue only, nothing to do with oil consumption, so anything Kia does beyond the settlement issue is out of the goodness of their heart, but I certainly wouldn't count on any type of favor.
My advice, just do maintenance as required and drive the car keeping the oil in the safe area, then if anything causes the engine to commit suicide take it in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts