Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI you can fit two adult bicycles in the trunk, along with helmets and related gear.

You can also fit one adult bicycle and two children's bikes.

Just need to remove the wheels on the adult bikes, which is very easy when you have quick release (no tools). But it would be worth it even if you had bolted-on wheels, just use a socket wrench.

This really changed my perspective when going out to visit new cities or other road trips. Having the bikes in the trunk really opens new opportunities.

If you take a ferry, you can save money because they sometimes charge extra for bike racks attached to cars. With the bikes inside the trunk, you pay less.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX Luxury
18 Posts
FYI you can fit two adult bicycles in the trunk, along with helmets and related gear.

You can also fit one adult bicycle and two children's bikes.

Just need to remove the wheels on the adult bikes, which is very easy when you have quick release (no tools). But it would be worth it even if you had bolted-on wheels, just use a socket wrench.

This really changed my perspective when going out to visit new cities or other road trips. Having the bikes in the trunk really opens new opportunities.

If you take a ferry, you can save money because they sometimes charge extra for bike racks attached to cars. With the bikes inside the trunk, you pay less.
This is encouraging. I'll most likely be going on a long road trip in the fall and wouldn't mind bringing my bike (not down to get a rack). I'm able to remove my bike's front wheel without any tools. Do you need to remove both to fit the bike or would one still work?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the adult bikes needed both wheels removed. For the kids bikes, you can fit the medium with just one wheel off. Small kids bikes will fit with both wheels.

But usually, if you have a bolted-on rear wheel, it's very quick to remove, you just need to bring a wrench (preferably a pair of wrenches so you can hold the inner nut still while you loosen or tighten the outer nut, or else you will tighten or loosen the bearings).

Maybe you can get a new rear axle that has a quick release?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima EX Luxury
18 Posts
Yes, the adult bikes needed both wheels removed. For the kids bikes, you can fit the medium with just one wheel off. Small kids bikes will fit with both wheels.

But usually, if you have a bolted-on rear wheel, it's very quick to remove, you just need to bring a wrench (preferably a pair of wrenches so you can hold the inner nut still while you loosen or tighten the outer nut, or else you will tighten or loosen the bearings).

Maybe you can get a new rear axle that has a quick release?
Thanks! I'll look into it. Shouldn't cost too much and in the end it would probably be worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts