Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I HATE DONUT SPARES!

So, has anyone bought (or tried to fit!) a regular wheel in the spare tire compartment?

I called Kia Customer help line and asked the question and they said that a full sized wheel wouldnt fit but I looked at it again today and it appears that a full sized spare MIGHT fit in the spare wheel well.

Has anyone tried, or perhaps anyone with new wheels tried, to put a full sized spare in there?

Thanks folks...loving the Optima here :) !

·
Registered
134 Posts
Whilst I haven't actually checked it for myself, the Australian versions comes with, and I quote..... "Spare (Standard) Full size alloy wheel and tyre".

If a full size wheel fits in the vehicle sold in Australia I'm sure it will fit in all Optimas. :D

·
12/2011 ROTM
669 Posts
Whilst I haven't actually checked it for myself, the Australian versions comes with, and I quote..... "Spare (Standard) Full size alloy wheel and tyre".

If a full size wheel fits in the vehicle sold in Australia I'm sure it will fit in all Optimas. :D

Man you make out like a king with them cars out there. SWEET!:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Perhaps we can start a pool where people who have bought aftermarket rims sell off their stock rims/tires to other people wanting full size spares?

I would like to get a full size SX luxury/touring spare. But I don't want to pay Kia $550 for one wheel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Eventually, I'm going to replace the stock steel wheels with new rims. I had planned to purchase the cheapest tire I could to put on one of the steel wheels and use as a spare.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Perhaps we can start a pool where people who have bought aftermarket rims sell off their stock rims/tires to other people wanting full size spares?

I would like to get a full size SX luxury/touring spare. But I don't want to pay Kia $550 for one wheel.
Yes, very good idea. I too would like a spare luxury wheel, but can't bring myself to pay that much money to the dealer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE : Full Size Spare can be used - WHEELS FOR SALE ON EBAY!!!

Removed the carpet, took out the donut, removed the front wheel on my EX and tried it. Well, there are 4 foam plastic blocks (that support the donut!) on the bottom of the tire well, and you need to remove them and then the full size wheel fits very nicely. The screw clamp works and even the plastic insert for the jack fits in it.

Now, I saw there are a set of 4 EX wheels/tires on Ebay right now for $450 plus shipping! I also believe I saw a set on here or on Kia-Forums for sale.

If there are 4 of us on here with EX's that would like a full size spare, we could prolly pick them up for a final price of $200 each shipped. This is a huge savings over buying from the dealer.

Obviously, this would require a little negotiation with the seller but would be a neat deal if we could put it together.

·
12/2011 ROTM
669 Posts
Removed the carpet, took out the donut, removed the front wheel on my EX and tried it. Well, there are 4 foam plastic blocks (that support the donut!) on the bottom of the tire well, and you need to remove them and then the full size wheel fits very nicely. The screw clamp works and even the plastic insert for the jack fits in it.

Now, I saw there are a set of 4 EX wheels/tires on Ebay right now for $450 plus shipping! I also believe I saw a set on here or on Kia-Forums for sale.

If there are 4 of us on here with EX's that would like a full size spare, we could prolly pick them up for a final price of $200 each shipped. This is a huge savings over buying from the dealer.

Obviously, this would require a little negotiation with the seller but would be a neat deal if we could put it together.

i have an Lx what size are them rims and tires on an ex? I could care a less if it dont match. Would rather have that on for a bit then the spare

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yes a full size fits. I bought a matching stock rim here for a song and had a tire mounted on it locally. It even has the TPMS.
I feel much better about taking a long trip now.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
279 Posts
I must be a sucker because the Sales guy had me convinced just using the kit and roadside service was the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,454 Posts
I currently use one of my OEM 17" wheels as my full size spare. Fits perfectly. :thumbsup:
That's a really good idea! When I eventually upgrade my wheels/tires, I planned on keeping the 18" OEM set anyway and I might do the same.
Does the jack/foam thing fit inside the 17" wheels so that it all fits ok in that space?

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
I tried putting the stock 18in wheel in the spare tire well, but it did not fit so that the rear trunk cover will properly lay flat over it.

The 18in wheel poked out about an inch over the tire well opening even with the completely flat tire, probably higher if the tire was inflated.

I know this because I had a flat a week ago that ruined one of my Hankook tires and I had to put the temporary tire on and carry the full size tire in the trunk so that is why I know that the 18in wheel does not work as a full size spare unless you can live with the trunk cover bulging in the middle.

Too bad since I hate the temporary tire look and feel on the road.

If the full size tire fit properly I would have just used the one 18 in wheel I have that has a little curb damage as the spare, and buy a replacement wheel to replace the curbed one.

·
Registered
2011 K5 K5
814 Posts
That's a really good idea! When I eventually upgrade my wheels/tires, I planned on keeping the 18" OEM set anyway and I might do the same.
Does the jack/foam thing fit inside the 17" wheels so that it all fits ok in that space?
Yes it does. However the 18" wheel may not fit that spare tire space. The 17" wheel fits perfectly only after removing the foam pads that held the spare in place.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 170
2,115 Posts
Yes it does. However the 18" wheel may not fit that spare tire space. The 17" wheel fits perfectly only after removing the foam pads that held the spare in place.
18" will fit fine. The only difference it the tire is wider and it may push the mat up slightly though I don't think that will happen with the stock wheel/tire. My 19x8.5" wheels stick up a bit due to the width of the wheel.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima 2015 LX
132 Posts
I agree, donuts are for eating, but never for driving! Haha sorry, Im not trying to bring a 3 year old post back from the dead, just saying lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off, I HATE DONUT SPARES!

So, has anyone bought (or tried to fit!) a regular wheel in the spare tire compartment?

I called Kia Customer help line and asked the question and they said that a full sized wheel wouldnt fit but I looked at it again today and it appears that a full sized spare MIGHT fit in the spare wheel well.

Has anyone tried, or perhaps anyone with new wheels tried, to put a full sized spare in there?

Thanks folks...loving the Optima here :) !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts