Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently purchased a 2011 Optima EX, with 92,000 miles. It rides really rock. I went to replace the wheels, to reduce the wheel noise and was told I need to replace the passenger side ball joint to the tune of $500, I decided I'll be doing the job myself and while I'm at it replace the struts, but the problem I'm having is sourcing them. I've don't struts before, and I honestly don't want to have to deal with the springs. The only one seemingly available on amazon says it has to be Koran built or Sports tuned, but ...the reviews say they have mixed results in either case.

Alternatively, If I can't find fully assembled struts, I wouldn't mind opting for something that would give me more road clearance, but so any recommendations regarding either would be helpful

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,787 Posts
There's not much avaiable that would raise the car. Do the lower control arms have the BJ part of the assembly, meaning if the BJ is bad, need to replace the entire arm? Is the arm aluminum or steel?
As far as struts, at that mileage I'd leave them alone, plenty of miles remaining.
Are the stabilizer end links the long units?
RockAuto has the complete LCA @$60 w/BJ, I would assume steel. There was a fellow on here that replaced his aluminum unit with a steel unit no problem.

They do make spacers for the top hats, but never looked into them so not certain f/r.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, they wanted to replace the whole control arm so that's what I'm going to go ahead and do, I just order one off Amazon. Also 92,000 is miles is probably a good 42,000 miles from where some struts need to be replaced, and since I'd like to drive this car for the next 30-50K miles, replacing the struts now while im working under the car just seems like a good opportunity. I can feel every pebble in the pavement, and with new tires no less, so the suspension needs something done to it.

Also, I live in Wisconsin, I would really love more road clearance before Winter gets here. I'm not very knowledgeable with cars, so I'm not sure what terms to search for to help improve ground clearance.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,787 Posts
Just got to get used to the rock hard suspension. I have no idea what Kia was thinking when they designed the suspension as the '11 EX-T rides like a truck and always has, nothing to do with worn sturts/shocks, but a truck might ride better and the rock hard seats don't help. When the car was tested most all complained about the suspension, and now with 189,000 miles still as good as new, rock solid. Now, on the other hand, the '08 Optima just sold 293,000 miles on OE struts, nice ride, nice seats, very comfortable. There is no mileage figure as to when struts/shocks need replacement.

I'd forget about raising the car, but if you install snow tires go to a larger diameter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 11 base model rides the same, maybe a little worse now, after a full strut assembly replacement on both sides. I don't recommend the Detroit Axle cheap replacements. It's always been a rough ride, but the cheap replacement seems to have made it worse. Should've just sucked it up and spent the $300 the dealer wanted for both struts only.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,787 Posts
My 11 base model rides the same, maybe a little worse now, after a full strut assembly replacement on both sides. I don't recommend the Detroit Axle cheap replacements. It's always been a rough ride, but the cheap replacement seems to have made it worse. Should've just sucked it up and spent the $300 the dealer wanted for both struts only.
Good feedback....not much available to change the suspension, so guess the ride is what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts