Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I’ve got a good one for you. When I fill up, the computer says I should be getting like 480 miles /tank. My last tank I got around 330. Brought it to Kia. Was told fuel filter was suggested to be changed every 20k miles. With the pile of other issues I’ve had with this car, I told them to go ahead and do it. Roughly 1.5 hours later, tech comes and tells me it is not “user serviceable”. WTF?

If I’m lucky, the computer says I average around 19mpg around town, and 24mpg on the highway. The best I got was 31mpg when I drove from Indiana to Arizona when I moved.

Disclosure: I drive the car hard. Meaning: fast.

Also, when I’m at a stoplight and go to accelerate, it sometimes feels as if the engine is going to stall when I take my foot off the brake.

It has been to multiple dealers in Indiana, Illinois and here in Arizona. They cannot duplicate the issue.

I was so fed up with Kia that I almost traded it. I’m used to Toyota where they just run until they die. My Corolla ran for a solid 265,000 miles and no repairs other than basic maintenance. I test drove a Camry, Accord, and Legacy. None of them came close in terms of comfort, noise, legroom, speed that I have in my Optima. I LOVE my Optima, but I do have long term reliability concerns with the amount of warranty work. At my last oil change, I was told the right front tie rod was loose. Car has 48k miles. Of course, Kia could find no issues.

Where do I go from here folks?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
yeah hard to figure out the almost stalling if no CEL code.

Now you mention Noise. Road noise? Yeah optimas do have way too much road noise, whereas my camry, 4unner especially and sequoia have virtually zero road noise. That's the difference between Toyota and Kia. One burns the candle on both ends the other does not!

If only 48k why not have an alignment shop check out tie rod, unless you know how to check it yourself, easy peasy, you tube it....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have a Corolla 2005. I recently test drove a Camry and lots of noise. At the time I was so annoyed with my Optima I almost did the deal...then the price jumped $3k before TTL... dealer adds - window tint, VIN etching, and some locator app or something.

I bought my Optima used in 2019 w/27k miles. It’s obvious the prior owner must have driven the **** out of this car to have these kinds of issues… That’s kind of what I’m thinking

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmm.
Fuel filter is just a sock in the tank. How are your plugs and air filter? Also E10 or E15 will make a difference in fuel economy since ethanol has less power per mile. When you fill your tank the trip meter doesnt know what blend you got, alcohol need much more volume to deliver the same "power" than gasoline IL and IN are both big ethanol states since corn is used to make it. Your fuel economy will be reduced with ethanol blended fuels. Your airfilter being clean also helps with economy and performance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air filter was just changed. Asked about spark plugs, but told they don’t need to be changed till 100k miles.

Also, very RARE, but there are times when the car has trouble starting. No rhyme or reason behind that either. Recently, went on a 7 mile hike and it was HOT!! I was SOOOO happy to get to the end of the trail and could see my car! Couldn’t wait to get the AC going!! Didn’t start the first time, started right up the 2nd time.

I’ve all stopped taking the car to Kia unless I absolutely have to. The range of expertise varies widely. Every dealer will tell me different intervals of service (like oil changes and coolant flush). When I was new to AZ, I was told the coolant was bad. Living in the Midwest, I NEVER changed the coolant as part of basic maintenance. So I had them do it. Didn’t want to get stuck in the middle of the desert. $143 later I called a friend about this who’s lived here for years and he said he never changed the coolant either. So I was just taken for a ride. Lesson learned.

Again, I LOVE my Optima, but they seem to be “cheap(Er)”...

Appreciate all your help folks.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Not to start a debate, but the air filter has no bearing on the fuel mileage, and have seen problems with the in-tank fuel pump loosing pressure,
but hard to diagnose over the net w/o any cel codes. I always recommend checking real time values through the OBDII port, so might want to look into a Torque app.
There is nothing in the owner's manual about fuel filter maintenance, only inspection of the fuel tank air filter.

As some, or guess I should say all dealerships make up their own maintenance schedule to fatten their pockets, regardless of the factory schedule, so be smart,
study the schedule and you'll be better off and have some left over money for Mickey D's.

·
Being awesome every day!
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
3,199 Posts
When I fill up, the computer says I should be getting like 480 miles /tank. My last tank I got around 330. Brought it to Kia. Was told fuel filter was suggested to be changed every 20k miles. With the pile of other issues I’ve had with this car, I told them to go ahead and do it. Roughly 1.5 hours later, tech comes and tells me it is not “user serviceable”. WTF?
If I’m lucky, the computer says I average around 19mpg around town, and 24mpg on the highway. The best I got was 31mpg when I drove from Indiana to Arizona when I moved.
Disclosure: I drive the car hard. Meaning: fast.
Also, when I’m at a stoplight and go to accelerate, it sometimes feels as if the engine is going to stall when I take my foot off the brake.
At my last oil change, I was told the right front tie rod was loose. Car has 48k miles. Of course, Kia could find no issues.
Where do I go from here folks?
I honestly see nothing wrong with your mileage. Especially if you drive like a bat out of ****. The range estimator is almost always BS. Changing fuel filter every 20K is BS. Tie rod loose is just one of those things that someone probably didnt install right. Get an alignment, ask them to make sure all the hardware is tight, and move on with your life. The almost stalling thing is weird. First I'd say disconnect your battery for a few hours to re-set all your "learning" software like transmission. If the car is running but wants to die at idle I'd suggest maybe having your idle speed adjusted. Make sure one of your intake tubes isnt loose.

·
Registered
68 Posts
E10 regular unleaded and never had a "fuel filter" issue in the 212k miles I've put on it. I get anywhere from 13-20 city and 28-38 highway depending on traffic and whether I'm Earnhardt that day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
E10 regular unleaded and never had a "fuel filter" issue in the 212k miles I've put on it. I get anywhere from 13-20 city and 28-38 highway depending on traffic and whether I'm Earnhardt that day.
Thanks for your reply. Makes sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts