Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Optima
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have searched my heart out to find the solution to this **** problem to no avail! Occasionally the car will suddenly shake and shudder while driving and almost seems like it struggles to accelerate. If you keep driving for a while the right front brake starts smoking when you come to a stop. I have replaced the caliper twice thinking maybe I got a bad one the first go around but nope. I am starting to think that the computer or ABS or ESC is applying that brake for some reason which is also causing the shake / shudder. It does this so randomly that I don't think I can take it to the dealer because I can already hear their answer.... "Nothing wrong, we can't recreate it".

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this problem that can shed some light on this **** mystery??? I am completely stumped.
If it is the computer / ABS / ESC can they be replaced without any programming needed?

Thoughts??? And THANKS!!!!! :)

·
Registered
2013 optima sx
92 Posts
Could be the wrong pads for the car or you need a brake fluid change. I don’t think it’s abs because a abs light would come on when it does it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Brake hose collapsed inside. If you want to confirm, it's going to be hot. Next time it happens, remove wheel and try and move the caliper e.g. push piston in, with a screwdriver through the top using the pads as leverage, no go, then undo the bleeder and try, will probably move.
When inside collapses it will allow fluid to flow through as flowing to the caliper, but will hinder its return, but after a period of time it will flow back slowly. Braking fine when cold but after a period of time the caliper piston stays out and holds the pads against the rotor.

My best guess.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Are you sure it's not two separate problems?

The struggle to accelerate seems like it's another issue maybe?

Does it ever struggle to slow down, or struggle to coast smoothly when you are off the gas?

·
Registered
2010 Kia Optima
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure it is the ESC applying the front right brake for some random reason and not releasing it hence the longer driving the hotter the brake pads get. When the shudder/shake starts is when the car seems to drag (I believe the brakes are applied) and trying to accelerate is hard to do. Pulling over and shutting car off for a minute seems to put it back to normal and it may stay normal for weeks or maybe days.
It is so random I know a dealer or mechanic will most likely not see it happen unless they drive it for a while. I am trying to figure out if I can permanently disable the ESC since it seems to be complete junk anyways.

More thoughts????

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Look under the hood, different diagrams, but look for abs1 abs2, another diagram listed 2 fuses for esc/abs, so just look under the top for the fuse locations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My first thought was a problem with the speed sensor on that wheel. I guess pulling the fuse for ABS could help to narrow it down.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Are you running tires that are unevenly worn, or different sizes?

CAUTION
Driving with varying tire or wheel sizes may cause the ESC system to malfunction. When replacing tires, make sure they are the same size as your original tires.
If you are unable to find the right fuse(s) to pull, you can turn off ESC and see if the problem stops:

Kia Optima: ESC (Electronic stability control) - Driving your vehicle - Kia Optima TF 2011-2020 Owners Manual

When the ignition is turned ON, ESC and ESC OFF indicator lights illuminate for approximately 3 seconds, then ESC is turned on.
  • Press the ESC OFF button for at least half a second after turning the ignition ON to turn ESC off. (ESC OFF indicator will illuminate). To turn the ESC on, press the ESC OFF button (ESC OFF indicator light will go off).

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
262 Posts
Sounds like a traction control issue. Check your wheel speed sensors and make sure there are no damaged parts or missing teeth. I had a very similar issue in the past that slowly went away, but it was on acceleration and in turns, it would apply my passenger front brake.

Reactions: R71Mopar

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2015 Optima and am dealing with the same problem (only happens when it is hot outside). I started a thread about the shaking and only just figured out that the right front brake is locking. My personal mechanic said it had to do with the ABS system but that he could not fix it. He suggested taking it to the dealer. It is at the dealer now and they can not recreate the problem, so they said they can not fix it. Funny thing is when I dropped it off, the right front brake had already locked up. Hopefully one of us can figure out a fix for this problem.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Optima
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 2015 Optima and am dealing with the same problem (only happens when it is hot outside). I started a thread about the shaking and only just figured out that the right front brake is locking. My personal mechanic said it had to do with the ABS system but that he could not fix it. He suggested taking it to the dealer. It is at the dealer now and they can not recreate the problem, so they said they can not fix it. Funny thing is when I dropped it off, the right front brake had already locked up. Hopefully one of us can figure out a fix for this problem.
Make sure you check your brake caliper also. I had to change mine on that side 3 times because the extreme heat destroyed the rubber boot. Last time this happened I checked the temp of all 4 rotors / rims and 3 of them were around 120 degrees but the passenger side front was 535 degrees! Since then I have replaced the caliper, rotor & brakes and all is fine now but the car is not being driven much. If it happens again I'm going to swap the wheel speed sensor from the driver side and see if the problem follows the speed sensor.
Oh.... and I will never buy a Kia again! :)

·
Registered
2010 Kia Optima
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts