Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok new to the forum sorta, just never made an account. But anywayssss.
2014 Optima EX with 98k when I got it at 47k there was a clunking noise on bumps, kinda like the car was going to rattle apart. Figured it was probably the front struts because it had that distinctive front strut noise. So went ahead and slapped some coilovers on it and set it down. Didn't fix it. Well I knew that the motor and transmission mounts needed to be replaced when I got the car so I went ahead and did that one, cake fix, except it didn't solve the issue either. Instead it made a new one. Now whenever I turn left and add any kind of throttle it gets a wheel hop from the passenger side front wheel only. Thought maybe it was an axle or CV joint but it isn't making a clicking or any of the normal symptoms of a bad one. So at his point i'm stuck and don't feel like throwing any more parts at the **** thing. Anyone have any of these problems before??

PFA

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
258 Posts
I have a clunk in the front end, drivers side it sounds like, when hitting bumps at slower speeds. I've changed springs and shocks and the noise persists. I've had the dealer check for suspension issues, bushings, etc, and they have found nothing. I would love to have something else to look at to solve this.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
My 2.0 T started many years ago with bad end links, changed, noise stopped, until a while ago. It's not the links again, because I removed both, noise still there, so got under there with a pry bar and did some prying, bad rear LCA bushings, front bushing OK. Rather than buying hew LCAs, picked up the 4 bushings and will be doing an install next week.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a clunk in the front end, drivers side it sounds like, when hitting bumps at slower speeds. I've changed springs and shocks and the noise persists. I've had the dealer check for suspension issues, bushings, etc, and they have found nothing. I would love to have something else to look at to solve this.
Same here. Nothing major, but still...

I do remember hitting an insane pothole on the way home from work one cold winter day. I thought I bent the rim and everything. Wonder if that had something do to with it...

·
Registered
49 Posts
My '12 Optima SX with 107K does the bump clunk. The rear skitters a bit over potholed roads but it still passes the jounce test. I wanted to put in the KYB Strut Plus (fully assembled, all new parts) but they apparently aren't making them right now.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
8 Posts
Stop following all those Jeeps on the truck trails. That should help. Stay on the smooth roads.

Seriously though, I have a bumping sound up front as well. At one point I hit a curb at a sharp angle and eventually had to have the front right spindle replaces as well as both front bearings because there was a good 1.5-inch left-right play on the wheel when lifted off the ground. No symptoms I could hear or feel on the road. But I still have the sound. Recently during an oil change, the Pep Boys inspection says the "left CV axel boot was torn". I have a recall to take care of so I'm going to see if the dealer says anything since they'll no doubt also be looking for additional work.

You might take advantage of some free inspection someone is offering as part of an oil change or whatever. There's never an obligation and they will be looking closely for things they can say need fixing.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Optima
2 Posts
Ok new to the forum sorta, just never made an account. But anywayssss.
2014 Optima EX with 98k when I got it at 47k there was a clunking noise on bumps, kinda like the car was going to rattle apart. Figured it was probably the front struts because it had that distinctive front strut noise. So went ahead and slapped some coilovers on it and set it down. Didn't fix it. Well I knew that the motor and transmission mounts needed to be replaced when I got the car so I went ahead and did that one, cake fix, except it didn't solve the issue either. Instead it made a new one. Now whenever I turn left and add any kind of throttle it gets a wheel hop from the passenger side front wheel only. Thought maybe it was an axle or CV joint but it isn't making a clicking or any of the normal symptoms of a bad one. So at his point i'm stuck and don't feel like throwing any more parts at the **** thing. Anyone have any of these problems before??

PFA View attachment 250162
I had the same issue in my 2013 Optima LX. The most likely culprit is what is known as the anti-sway bar "strut". Difficult to troubleshoot with car jacked up, weight of the wheels puts a load on the struts. With the car on the ground you should be able to feel the slop in the worn bushing attached to the end of the strut. $75.00 DIY repair job; usually caused by nasty potholes! Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts