Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
( Not sure if my other post submitted i can’t find it so it reapers my apologies guys).
Any guys up in the Midwest? Wondering how difficult the front control arm is to replace on a 2013 Kia Optima 2.4 (not sure of sub model off top of head) and the car don’t seem to rusted under there. Now I know with my Xterra the control arm cam bolts were seized and had to be cut out so I was just wondering if anyone has run into issues up in these salt states. Just looking for some insite or any tips that might make it go smoother. Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
It isn't that difficult. Ball joint is the most difficult part. If it gives you any problems. Just unattach the bolts holding it to the control arm. I'd use penatrating oil the day before to loosen the bolts. And make sure to lift both sides of the car to release any pressure on the suspension, it makes things easier, especially with end links. When it's time to bolt everything back down, don't torque or just tighten any bolts. Either use a floor jack under the wheel hub and push up, or drop it back down gently to set everything at ride height. Once it's set. Push down on the strut a couple of times to ensure its where it should be. Then torque. I'd recommend replacement be in pairs. And after completion, go get an alignment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isn't that difficult. Ball joint is the most difficult part. If it gives you any problems. Just unattach the bolts holding it to the control arm. I'd use penatrating oil the day before to loosen the bolts. And make sure to lift both sides of the car to release any pressure on the suspension, it makes things easier, especially with end links. When it's time to bolt everything back down, don't torque or just tighten any bolts. Either use a floor jack under the wheel hub and push up, or drop it back down gently to set everything at ride height. Once it's set. Push down on the strut a couple of times to ensure its where it should be. Then torque. I'd recommend replacement be in pairs. And after completion, go get an alignment.
Thanks for the reply 😂 but yeah ended up only taking 15min to get the whole arm off and maybe another 20min to get it back together I spent more time waiting on fed ex to drop it off that day and yeah I e done a few lower arms I always tighten them at ride height or simulate with floor jack with lowered cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts