Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new owner of a Kia Optima from 2012 and I also have a problem with the reverse camera, more precisely, when I put the lever in reverse mode, the display does not change (as normal, given that it has the camera on the back ). Has anyone else encountered a similar problem to help me?
Thank you !

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Can you clarify: when shifted in reverse, what does your screen show?

Does your screen show something like the radio display, or the maps display, or what does your screen show?

If your screen shows black, then maybe it's a bad camera. But if your screen shows something else, maybe your camera is good?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Your symptom does not sound like a bad camera.

Instead, it sounds like the head unit doesn't realize the car is in reverse.

Does the dash correctly show the "R" when you are in reverse?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you mean the change in the car, yes, R. appears. Nothing changes on the display

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
OK so it sounds like the transmission is telling the car when it's in reverse, like the reverse switch is good. So I wonder if there is a wire that came loose in the back of the head unit, the reverse switch wire?

I assume your white reverse tail lights also come on when you shift into reverse.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
LOL @ the Subject title not matching the actual discussion in this thread...I suppose if I were to make a facetious comment about the issue I could have said something along the lines of, "Of course nothing from the front camera is gonna show on the display if you shift into R!" ;)

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
585 Posts
These cameras die often. While I agree this isn't the normal cadence of what happens (usually the screen will change to the camera but just be all black), it's probably still a dead camera. I'd take it to a dealership and let them figure out what it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL @ the Subject title not matching the actual discussion in this thread...I suppose if I were to make a facetious comment about the issue I could have said something along the lines of, "Of course nothing from the front camera is gonna show on the display if you shift into R!" ;)
(y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I am a new owner of a Kia Optima from 2012 and I also have a problem with the reverse camera, more precisely, when Nox Vidmate VLC I put the lever in reverse mode, the display does not change (as normal, given that it has the camera on the back ). Has anyone else encountered a similar problem to help me?
Thank you !
While I agree this isn't the normal cadence of what happens (usually the screen will change to the camera but just be all black), it's probably still a dead camera.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts