Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The problem with that diagram is that it doesn't say anything about the 3 bolts/nuts I mention in the video.
Those diagrams are helpful, but IMO seeing somebody do it, is a lot easier, still I appreciate your contribution to the thread.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The problem with that diagram is that it doesn't say anything about the 3 bolts/nuts I mention in the video.
Those diagrams are helpful, but IMO seeing somebody do it, is a lot easier, still I appreciate your contribution to the thread.
Yep I noticed that too and def agree the video is way more helpful... I was mainly posting it for reference purposes only as I found step 3 interesting that they separate the top of the bumper from the car before removing the screws from the bottom. I am curious to know how many bumpers have been screwed up due to the fact it does not mention the removal of the extra nuts/screw if this is what the Dealers go by.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yep I noticed that too and def agree the video is way more helpful... I was mainly posting it for reference purposes only as I found step 3 interesting that they separate the top of the bumper from the car before removing the screws from the bottom. I am curious to know how many bumpers have been screwed up due to the fact it does not mention the removal of the extra nuts/screw if this is what the Dealers go by.
Thing is: there's a way to remove the bumper without taking out those 3 fasteners, but IMO it's very risky, the "by the book" method tells you to do it that way, but it's not a good idea, unless you're experienced at bumper cover removal. This is why the service manual doesn't mention the 3 fasteners, however, the fact that they remove the bottom bolts last is just odd IMO, no matter how they remove it.

And I wasn't trying to knock your diagram, I'm sure it will help some ppl, in fact, that very diagram is what I used the first time I took mine off.........and tore the bumper in the process, lol.

It was my own fault for being in too much of a hurry, and listening to poor advice here on the forum telling me to just pull on it.
Like I said, if you've had it off, you can see how to pull those little clips out without the need for taking out the aforementioned fastener nuts/bolts, but for newbies first timers, or just ppl like me who don't want to risk tearing a $600 cover, I like the method in the video, with the assistance of the diagram you posted.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Thing is: there's a way to remove the bumper without taking out those 3 fasteners, but IMO it's very risky, the "by the book" method tells you to do it that way, but it's not a good idea, unless you're experienced at bumper cover removal. This is why the service manual doesn't mention the 3 fasteners, however, the fact that they remove the bottom bolts last is just odd IMO, no matter how they remove it.

And I wasn't trying to knock your diagram, I'm sure it will help some ppl, in fact, that very diagram is what I used the first time I took mine off.........and tore the bumper in the process, lol.

It was my own fault for being in too much of a hurry, and listening to poor advice here on the forum telling me to just pull on it.
Like I said, if you've had it off, you can see how to pull those little clips out without the need for taking out the aforementioned fastener nuts/bolts, but for newbies first timers, or just ppl like me who don't want to risk tearing a $600 cover, I like the method in the video, with the assistance of the diagram you posted.
No worries man, I don't wear my feelings on my sleeves & didnt think u were knocking it...

I agree 100% ur video is 10000x more useful than the diagram, just thought I would post it as I found it interesting. Also, I dont understand why they remove the bottom fasteners/screws that way either...

Trust me when I remove my fiance's bumper it will be from the direction of your video & NOT the diagram/method I posted...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well this is interesting, when I took off my bumper I did not know anything about those three hidden in there, mine had clips that it guided into I have a 13' SX

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well this is interesting, when I took off my bumper I did not know anything about those three hidden in there, mine had clips that it guided into I have a 13' SX

They all have the clips, but many people pull the bumper improperly and tear it, so I show a method that doesn't require you to unclip the cover, and risk tearing it.
This is discussed in post # 43 above.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Those 3 bolts/nuts got me when I was trying to take the bumper off (first time in my life). People were saying something like "it's easy, just lift a little and pull" and when I tried that I'm like "How the **** did these people do it?" Luckily someone else here mentioned about these and I unbolted those. It was so annoying, but had to be done since I'm not willing to risk ripping the bumper.

Good job on the video! Wish I had this before I started since I'm more of a visual person too, especially when it's brand new to me.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Nice job on the video and verbal instruction. This is most certainly appreciated.
I'm grateful to be in a position to help.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I do believe at 8:36 in the video you clearly stated "Nothing holding the bumper on right now" along with how you were going to slowly pull, not yank/rip, the bumper off...

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I do believe at 8:36 in the video you clearly stated "Nothing holding the bumper on right now" along with how you were going to slowly pull, not yank/rip, the bumper off...
BINGO!

A couple members in another thread had said I left the hardest part out, apparently their volume was muted.....

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I just realized one of the mods sticky'd my thread.
It might sound corny, but it makes me happy to know that some members and apparently a mod thought this was deserving of that.
It wasn't long ago that I was combing threads and trying to figure out all the basic "stuff" that most of us did at the beginning.
I just looked up at my post count and realized I'm at about 1500 or so, and I still remember the warm welcome I received when I joined and all the help I continue to receive from other members.

Bottom line:
I'm just grateful I can contribute something useful, and I appreciate all the members who have sent me messages, or posted here expressing their appreciation.
One thing that I love about this forum is that there are always members helping other members.
It's a pretty cool thing we have going here.
It's sort of a giant severely dysfunctional family...

I hope this thread helps many more ppl, and I know I'll continue to learn from others' experiences.
I know very little compared to many members, but what little knowledge I've obtained has come from right here within this forum.

-Drew

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Drew, the thread deserved to be stickied. So many have problems with removing the front bumper and your method eliminates the possibility of tearing the bumper cover. Glad it will be up there for everyone to see with all the other DIY's. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Drew, the thread deserved to be stickied. So many have problems with removing the front bumper and your method eliminates the possibility of tearing the bumper cover. Glad it will be up there for everyone to see with all the other DIY's. :thumbsup:
Thanks Joseph

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
There will be an amended clip on my youtube channel to show the doubters the part where I pull the bumper off. I'll try to get it up this weekend.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts