Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are numerous threads showing how to, and discussing front bumper cover removal, however, there aren't any videos I've been able to find, so I made one yesterday.

Hopefully this will help anyone who is considering removing the cover, for any number of reasons.

Maybe you plan to install DRL's, swap grilles, swap, headlights, or just swap bumpers.
Whatever the case I hope this can be of use to those of you who are unfamiliar with removing the front bumper cover.
It's not that hard, IF you are armed with the proper information before you begin.

EDIT: AT THE POINT IN THE VIDEO WHEN I HAD TO SIT MY CAMERA DOWN TO GRAB THE BUMPER AND PLACE IT ON THE GROUND, THERE IS NOTHING HOLDING IT IN PLACE EXCEPT GRAVITY. A COUPLE MEMBERS WERE $HITTING ON MY VIDEO SAYING I EXCLUDED THE "HARDEST PART", LET ME BE CLEAR, THERE'S NOTHING DIFFICULT ABOUT TAKING IT OFF AT THAT POINT, IN FACT IT WOULD TAKE YOU LONGER TO WRITE A SENTENCE, THERE'S NO YANKING, NO PULLING HARD, OR ANY OF THAT, IT JUST FALLS DOWN INTO YOUR HANDS. THERE IS ANOTHER WAY TO REMOVE YOUR BUMPER AND IT INVOLVES EITHER YANKING REALLY HARD ON THE BUMPER, OR PUSHING IT FROM BEHIND, THIS IS NOT THE WAY IT'S DESCRIBED IN THE VIDEO, BECAUSE I RIPPED MY BUMPER THE FIRST TIME I EVER TOOK IT OFF EMPLOYING THAT METHOD. BELOW IS SHOWN A WAY TO TAKE IT OFF WITHOUT THE NEED TO YANK OR PULL ON ANYTHING, AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT FIRST-TIMERS DO IT THIS WAY.

Here you go:

EDIT: ONE THING I FORGOT TO MENTION IN THE VID IS THAT THE 8mm BOLTS IN THE WHEEL WELLS CAN BE REMOVED ALSO BY SIMPLY TURNING YOUR STEERING WHEEL

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was doing a search and there are literally hundreds of threads about this, with a couple good write ups, but I'm a visual person, and a step by step walk through would've been of great benefit to me the first time I did it. I hope others can find it as useful.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I hate those bolts/nuts below the headlight at 7:40 in the video..

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
i did the same thing u did, those bolts didn't make it back onto the car. the nuts are good enough

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
i must say, you're a true hero for doing this lol. I've been meaning to do this video once i finish building the DRL but i never got the glue to work for the **** drl.... so i haven't gotten to making the video lol. THANK YOU AGAIN SIR!

Btw, for those of you wanting a lot more detailed info on how to remove the cover and unplug the fog lights, click the fog light removal link in my signature

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i must say, you're a true hero for doing this lol. I've been meaning to do this video once i finish building the DRL but i never got the glue to work for the **** drl.... so i haven't gotten to making the video lol. THANK YOU AGAIN SIR!

Btw, for those of you wanting a lot more detailed info on how to remove the cover and unplug the fog lights, click the fog light removal link in my signature
Thank you, I'm going to upload a higher quality video tomorrow without all the weird moving of the outer perimeter.

·
Registered
2012 KIA OPTIMA
822 Posts
About time!!! Thanks nappy, too bad this was'nt available back when i needed to install the drl or take off the fog lamps.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Nice video Drew. Wish I had the time to show you fellows an easier way. You don't have to remove the brackets under the bumper. All you do is slide a flat head screw driver in between where the metal bracket and black plastic base of the bumper meets at the fins. As you wedge the screw driver in, give a light tug. The bumper will pop out, leaving the metal bracket attached to the vehicle.

Thanks for taking the time. It's better than the guys just snatching on the bumpers.:)

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice video Drew. Wish I had the time to show you fellows an easier way. You don't have to remove the brackets under the bumper. All you do is slide a flat head screw driver in between where the metal bracket and black plastic base of the bumper meets at the fins. As you wedge the screw driver in, give a light tug. The bumper will pop out, leaving the metal bracket attached to the vehicle.

Thanks for taking the time. It's better than the guys just snatching on the bumpers.:)
Yeah, I'm familiar with the screwdriver method too, I just figured with the method in the video, there wouldn't be as much risk involved, especially for a newbie.

and your welcome.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,251 Posts
Very awesome you took the time to edit this video and make it for us guys here. This should definitely help some of the guys planning on removing the bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very awesome you took the time to edit this video and make it for us guys here. This should definitely help some of the guys planning on removing the bumper.

If any of your clients need a leg up to get their bumper off to install DRL's or anything else for that matter, feel free to either refer them to the thread, or you can embed the video.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,251 Posts
If any of your clients need a leg up to get their bumper off to install DRL's or anything else for that matter, feel free to either refer them to the thread, or you can embed the video.
Thank you brother I really appreciate that! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also made a short little video about headlight removal, but it's pretty straightforward stuff, but just for $h!+s and giggles, here it is:

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Any possibility that you would do the back bumper so that I know what to do when I decide to add the LED reflectors? Videos are sometimes better than pictures

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
1 - 20 of 67 Posts