Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Optima SX - I have everything set for the forward collision 馃挜 and have the reaction time as "early" but when I try it out in a parking lot with boxes, it NEVER warns me or brakes. I had the recall done for the system update, still doesn't work.

It does work in normal driving conditions though. But I want to know if I need to be going at a certain speed to activate it on my own?

Has anyone else tried it and successfully got it to activate off the road?

Registered
2014 Kia Optima
2019 Optima SX - I have everything set for the forward collision and have the reaction time as "early" but when I try it out in a parking lot with boxes, it NEVER warns me or brakes. I had the recall done for the system update, still doesn't work.

It does work in normal driving conditions though. But I want to know if I need to be going at a certain speed to activate it on my own?

Has anyone else tried it and successfully got it to activate off the road?
The way I understand it is that it is looking for metallic objects that鈥檚 why it鈥檚 not detecting the boxes. Here is a good article on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
Wondering about - people - who aren't metallic. Notices them?
I didn't hear a beep for 3 years and then they started on the rare occasions (ie) a guy turns right just in front of you but you keep going anticipating his car vacating that area quickly; The Sensor still 'Sees" his car and starts beeping . It "feels" as though braking would occur at the last second which makes me less satisfied with AEB; SMART CRUISE is way more reactive for braking -- and the worst is interstate drivers who pass me and pull-in in front of me going equal - less speed than me and the car brakes. Drives me nuts, so I disengage it when I see them pull-in.

Registered
2018 Kia Optima
...SMART CRUISE is way more reactive for braking -- and the worst is interstate drivers who pass me and pull-in in front of me going equal - less speed than me and the car brakes. Drives me nuts, so I disengage it when I see them pull-in.
I know exactly what you mean--that has happened to me more than a few times and is annoying as heck. As far as AEB goes--I've never purposely tested it to see if it works but I have seen/hear the warning go off, typically whenever my approach/closingspeed is a wee bit too fast--the usual scenario for me is when I'm approaching an intersection at speed (>40 mph) and a vehicle that's about a dozen car lengths ahead of me slows down to make a turn; the warning then starts doing it's rapid beeping, at which point I apparently react quickly enough to manually slow my vehicle's speed before AEB (supposedly) kicks in...although I thought AEB engages (i.e., actually attempts to stop the vehicle) only if you're travelling say, 20 mph or slower?

Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
I know exactly what you mean--that has happened to me more than a few times and is annoying as heck. As far as AEB goes--I've never purposely tested it to see if it works but I have seen/hear the warning go off, typically whenever my approach/closingspeed is a wee bit too fast--the usual scenario for me is when I'm approaching an intersection at speed (>40 mph) and a vehicle that's about a dozen car lengths ahead of me slows down to make a turn; the warning then starts doing it's rapid beeping, at which point I apparently react quickly enough to manually slow my vehicle's speed before AEB (supposedly) kicks in...although I thought AEB engages (i.e., actually attempts to stop the vehicle) only if you're travelling say, 20 mph or slower?
t ..... You just reminded us we really don't know what we have in our Kias.
Kia sites have CIA-level security on data about our AEB - as usual, with a only few Searches I just found PR Fluff that doesn't help much. More aggressive Searching may net answer.
From Consumer Rpts:
They show AEB and Fwd & Rear AEB with obvious definitions BUT NO Speeds given.
Pedestrian Detection (AEB-ped): Brakes are automatically applied to prevent a collision or reduce impact force with pedestrians or bicyclists while the car is traveling forward. (No Speed given)
City Speed (AEB-city):
Brakes are automatically applied to prevent a collision or reduce impact force at city speeds (which are typically 50 mph and below).
Highway Speed (AEB-highway): Brakes are automatically applied to prevent a collision or reduce impact force at highway speeds (above 50 mph).

I've never had AEB Beeps for a car 12 car lengths ahead BUT Model Year May be a Big Deal about that Type of Spec ..........

Registered
2011 Kia Optima
Have never been in a car equipped with AEB, but for educational purposes and to further the knowledge of the community, how about doing a test run to see how the AEB actually works in real time?
Line up a parked car, drive straight at the vehicle then we can see when the AEB actually works. Maybe one can do the test at 25 mph and the other, let's be more aggressive and say 40 mph.

Just don't try a barrier as we don't want the same results as a Tesla driver found.

Registered
2018 Kia Optima
LOL off-topic--apparently I discovered/learned that I am not allowed to edit more than 10 posts within a 7-day period...

On-topic--maybe I should try to hunt down one of those 2-D full-sized cutouts that show the rear of some generic vehicle that I've seen used in AEB tests like the ones used in Motorweek.

Note--AEB will warn and if necessary apply braking "to reduce the impact from a collision" (Kia owner's manual words, not mine) or apply maximum braking in an attempt to avoid or otherwise minimize the impact of a collision (i.e., hitting a vehicle at reduced speed vs. full speed); the owner's manual pretty much breaks the AEB notification into three stages--Forward Warning (the warning part I alluded to), Collision Warning (start to apply as much braking as needed depending on collision risk level/factor), and Emergency Braking (apply even more braking power to either avoid or minimize the shock from collision). Forward Collision Warning (FCW) simply dictates how much (or how little) advance warning AEB should give you, based on the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle/pedestrian in front of you--so, larger distance = early warning, nominal distance = normal warning, short distance = later warning...and no, the manual doesn't detail as to what the distance figures are. AEB also only works when vehicle speed is >6 mph and "within a certain range of vehicle speeds"--again, the manual doesn't detail as to exactly what this range of speed is.

Registered
2011 Kia Optima
Just kidding around, appreciate the response, but as was expected there is no definitive info to say what would be expected at a specific speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.