Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my 2020 snow pearl white, tinted in the next couple of weeks. I am believe it is just under the legal limit in Ohio, but I am thinking about getting 20 percent tint. What percentage do you have? Are you happy with it in day/night driving? Would you go darker/lighter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love it, got Rayno s9 ceramic tint. 5% side's and rear, 70% sunroof, and 35% windshield. No issues driving and I regret nothing! Lol, bonus on keeping heat out and looking slick.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
38 Posts
Viper branded something or other. sales pitch 20$ more etc etc 6mil thick 15% "but it's more like 7%" all 4 doors, the back window and the 2 side small windows. Also no issues driving the auto rearview mirror dimmer still works. No complaints at all.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know what percentage will match the sunroof? I would love, for the very least for my back window To match the sunroof. That looks so sweet when it’s seamless tint like that.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
7 Posts
Ohio you can go as dark as you want except for the two front doors, legal limit on them is 50%. I did 20% all around because two shades of tint looks horrible and have had no issues

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohio you can go as dark as you want except for the two front doors, legal limit on them is 50%. I did 20% all around because two shades of tint looks horrible and have had no issues View attachment 248495
That looks awesome! That’s probably what I will be going with percentative wise. Can you tell me if the back window at 20 percent, matches the sunroof ? Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,010 Posts
Does anyone know what percentage will match the sunroof? I would love, for the very least for my back window To match the sunroof. That looks so sweet when it’s seamless tint like that.
Keep in mind that the level of darkness/shade of the sunroof glass will vary depending on whether the sunroof shade cover is open or closed. I'm gonna guess that you keep the shade in the closed position the majority of the time but it's something you might need to consider if matching the tint level of the sunroof with that of the back window.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
7 Posts
That looks awesome! That’s probably what I will be going with percentative wise. Can you tell me if the back window at 20 percent, matches the sunroof ?
That looks awesome! That’s probably what I will be going with percentative wise. Can you tell me if the back window at 20 percent, matches the sunroof ? Thanks!
I couldn't tell you on that, my car doesn't have the sunroof

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
464 Posts
Your best option would be to get a tint guage, and check yourself, or go to a state inspection station, and see if they'll let you use theirs.

On my own car, I went with 20%, since it still allows me to see out at night, and matches my glasses when they transition to full dark.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I think, as of right now, my gut is telling me 20 is going to be the best option all around. I go into the shop next Friday, so I’ll have to see if I change my mind once I see examples in person.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,010 Posts
On my own car, I went with 20%, since it still allows me to see out at night, and matches my glasses when they transition to full dark.
Do you also wear clothing that matches the color of your car (interior and/or exterior) too? ;) j/k!

·
Registered
80 Posts
In today's world does the tinted windows material(s) hold up. I know back 20 years ago the tine would peel and get bubble in them. I even had it done professionally

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,010 Posts
I imagine tint film material has advanced/improved much since then but even today there are still "cheap" tint film and "high-quality" tint film. I can pretty much promise you that any shop that advertises $99 tint jobs (for at least the three rear windows) is NOT using high-quality tint film at that price.

·
Registered
2013 Optima Free
3 Posts
I got a "Warning" in Ohio because my windows were tinted to dark
IMG_0081.JPG
. I bought my car as a lease trade-in in ohio with the windows already tinted. The State Police informed me it was illegal to sell that car to me then IF I was an Ohio resident. I lived in KY at the time but now I moved to Ohio. By the darkness meter he put on my driver side window it was too dark.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
41 Posts
For the majority of people, I would recommend 20% as the ideal tint darkness. It is dark enough to give you privacy and greatly cuts down on heat and brightness during the day but unless you drive in a poorly lit area is not so bad at night. In rural areas, even 35% can be hard to see through at night. In well lit cities, 20% is okay. Do keep in mind that if you have never really driven a tinted car before that even 35% will seem like a big change when driving at night at first. My first car was 35% and although the change was big at first, you acclimate to it and I later regretted not going darker. I'm in SoCal though so my winters are not nearly as dark as yours although your summer days are longer.

For someone who was very safety conscious or who drove in poorly lit areas, I would recommend 35%. 35% will still greatly cut down on heat but really does not add any privacy. 35% is also light enough that you may still wear sunglasses during the day.

Legal consideration - in SoCal such a large percentage of people have tint that it is unlikely you would get pulled over just for tint (but if you got pulled over for speeding or something else, they might cite your tint as well). The darker you go, the more you increase your chance of getting pulled over/cited for tint. I've been to Ohio before and much fewer people tint their cars there. So, you would stand out a lot more.

I currently have the equivalent of about 10% on the front and 5% on the back right now. I do not tint the front windshield at all. Excellent for privacy but I generally recommend that most people do not go that dark. There are two reasons. One is that at night or rainy weather, it becomes significantly harder to see. The other is that in the daytime, especially if you are driving towards the sun, there ends up being a massive difference in how bright the windshield is compared to all the other windows. It makes it harder for your eyes to adjust when looking in the rear view for example. That additional split-second in processing time makes driving incrementally more dangerous whether people acknowledge that or not. Of course, I could tint my windshield to mitigate the latter problem but I have mixed feelings about it and a tinted windshield in SoCal makes you a much bigger target to be ticketed by the cops.

In today's world does the tinted windows material(s) hold up. I know back 20 years ago the tine would peel and get bubble in them. I even had it done professionally
There has always been cheap tint vs. good tint as well as good installers vs bad ones. I tinted my first car 20 years ago and it never peeled (if it peeled at the bottom corner of a window that rolls down, that is poor installation) or bubbled (that is adhesive failure) and still looked new (didn't turn purplish) when I sold it.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima
13 Posts
I am getting my 2020 snow pearl white, tinted in the next couple of weeks. I am believe it is just under the legal limit in Ohio, but I am thinking about getting 20 percent tint. What percentage do you have? Are you happy with it in day/night driving? Would you go darker/lighter?
‘Hello, I got 24%.That’s the darkest I can have it in WA State. I’m happy with it for day and night driving. It was a struggle on the eyes at night at first, but I adjusted. 😊

1 - 20 of 27 Posts