Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what forum to post this in so I'll put it in the 3 I think are relevant . I'm going to be writing a letter to Kia consumer service as well as the FTC and I would like to refer them to this post with others with the exact same issue. Pictures would be helpful but please only if you have peeling due to coating bonding defects, NOT due to curb rash, etc. Generally you'll see the starting from the backside of the spokes of the wheels and in some severe instances, bubbling in the middle of the wheel (I have one like this) Or even center caps that have started to peel. My goal is to accomplish two things here.

1. Extend the warranty on any chrome/PVD coated wheel
2. Get wheels currently displaying this defect replaced

I've been doing some reading over the last year on the chrome rims on these cars peeling and it seems to be more common than it should be and Kia should extend the warranty on these very expensive options that are failing due to product and material quality issues. Mine have been doing this since the car was 3 years old (I got it new 8/13). My 13 optima wheels/tires are only used for 7 months a year due to the OE tires being horrid in the winter. So they have had much less exposure to the elements than most and on my car is it ridiculous how bad the issue is. I have never used any cleaner on the wheel other than water and I have never been to an automatic car wash in the 4 years since new.

Here is just one of my wheels (3 of 4 are this bad!)

So if you would like to participate please include the following:

1. Year/model
2. Coating that is the problem (Paint, Chrome (PVD Coating), etc.)
3. If you've used any cleaner on the wheel and if so, what?
4. Pictures of affected areas.

I'll start

1. 13' Optima
2. Chrome/PVD coating
3. Only water

Thanks guys, hopefully together we can stop this type of behavior when a widespread product defect occurs.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2012 SX, but it has been a few years ago. I have the polished aluminum "pizza-style" wheels, and the clearcoat was detaching on all four. The car has never been in a car wash - I always hand wash it, and no harsh chemicals. Kia replaced the wheels at no cost to me.

Sorry for the slow response - I don't spend much time on this forum any more.

HTH,

Rich

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have reached out to Kia consumer assistance twice now and not one response in months. Yet I tag them in a post of a bent wheel their dealer charges me $35 to BALANCE and even wrote on the invoice bent. The thing vibrated worse than when I brought it in. What idiot balances a rim this bent? These are my winter rims, not my chrome ones which don't see snow which have flaked beyond repair.

Dave

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Don't have these wheels, but a question from the first post, just curious, are the wheels chrome plated or PVD?

I have PVD coated wheels on our Acura TL and they have remained perfect over the years and just a hose will wash the brake dust off.

Chrome on the other hand have been noting but problems. Even chrome clad wheels are a problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PVD, there is no chrome offered from Kia at least in the MYs we're discussing here. Chrome prep must be done properly or it will flake. It's a multi step process obviously and like body work the pase copper, etc. must bond properly. Chrome, when done properly and prepared correctly will last nearly forever. Chromium is a very hard material.

Dave

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
I'm familiar with PVD as I was involved with Detroit Wheel when they started selling the wheels done by a coater in CA, and as far as i know there is no base copper, just a primer base, a mixture applied in the PVD chamber, then powder coat clear.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where did I say there was any copper layer in PVD? pase=base however.

"Chrome prep must be done properly or it will flake. It's a multi step process obviously and like body work the pase copper, etc. must bond properly. "

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Where did I say there was any copper layer in PVD? pase=base however.

"Chrome prep must be done properly or it will flake. It's a multi step process obviously and like body work the pase copper, etc. must bond properly. "
PVD, there is no chrome offered from Kia at least in the MYs we're discussing here. Chrome prep must be done properly or it will flake. It's a multi step process obviously and like body work the pase copper, etc. must bond properly. Chrome, when done properly and prepared correctly will last nearly forever. Chromium is a very hard material.
Dave
No need to have a stroke, but as you started off with the PVD statement and no chrome offered, just assumed that the prep you referred to was for the PVD process, but you’ve certainly made it clear that wasn’t the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 kia optima with chrome wheels and my wheels are chipping and are black underneath, I hate them and my car looks cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure what forum to post this in so I'll put it in the 3 I think are relevant . I'm going to be writing a letter to Kia consumer service as well as the FTC and I would like to refer them to this post with others with the exact same issue. Pictures would be helpful but please only if you have peeling due to coating bonding defects, NOT due to curb rash, etc. Generally you'll see the starting from the backside of the spokes of the wheels and in some severe instances, bubbling in the middle of the wheel (I have one like this) Or even center caps that have started to peel. My goal is to accomplish two things here.

1. Extend the warranty on any chrome/PVD coated wheel
2. Get wheels currently displaying this defect replaced

I've been doing some reading over the last year on the chrome rims on these cars peeling and it seems to be more common than it should be and Kia should extend the warranty on these very expensive options that are failing due to product and material quality issues. Mine have been doing this since the car was 3 years old (I got it new 8/13). My 13 optima wheels/tires are only used for 7 months a year due to the OE tires being horrid in the winter. So they have had much less exposure to the elements than most and on my car is it ridiculous how bad the issue is. I have never used any cleaner on the wheel other than water and I have never been to an automatic car wash in the 4 years since new.

Here is just one of my wheels (3 of 4 are this bad!)

So if you would like to participate please include the following:

1. Year/model
2. Coating that is the problem (Paint, Chrome (PVD Coating), etc.)
3. If you've used any cleaner on the wheel and if so, what?
4. Pictures of affected areas.

I'll start

1. 13' Optima
2. Chrome/PVD coating
3. Only water

Thanks guys, hopefully together we can stop this type of behavior when a widespread product defect occurs.
I have the same problem with my Kia Sedona SXL wheels. They were replaced 3 years ago and I am having the same problems with the new ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts