Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see a thread started discussing this TSB (bottom of my post), so I figured I would give my updates.

I have had this issue with my car for a while now, and the part, go figure, has been on backorder. It finally came in and I am taking the car in on Monday to get the sensor replaced, supposed to a be a 2-2.5 hour job. Here is what I have experienced due to this faulty sensor. I will give an update once its replaced early next week.

1. Hard/Clunky/Jerky Transmission shifts, sometimes even hesitated shifting: These hard shifts occur until the trans fluid has warmed-up to (or exceeded) the 176 degF that the failed sensor defaults to. Once this happens, the shifts return to normal. This is why it is hard for Service to replicate because by the time you drive to the dealership, your engine/trans/oil has heated up. (I do have the Amber Check engine light on, but have been too lazy to check what trans code it is from those listed. FYI, it's an OBD 2-trip fault.)

2. Torque Converter does not lock up immediately: This seems to be a side effect to this, but I have noticed on my drives to and from work (when I have had the hard shifts), it takes around 15-20 after I start driving until it will finally lock up and lower the engine speed an extra 200-300 RPM. It has happened enough to and from work, I know what mile marker on the interstate to watch it finally lock it up. Until this happens, you take a bit of a fuel economy hit.

=============

TSB- TRANS 043

group: TRANS
Models: See affected Table on pg 1 & 5
NUMBER: 043
DATE: May 2012

Technical Service Bulletin

SUBJECT: 6-speed AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE OIL TEMPERATURE SENSOR DTC P0711, P0712 & P0713

This bulletin provides information related to replacing the transaxle oil temperature sensor on 6-speed automatic transaxles with DTC P0711, P0712 and/or P0713. Replace the oil temperature sensor if current or history code is present; Do not replace the transaxle. To reduce vehicle repair time, this procedure can be performed with the transaxle installed in the vehicle. Photos shown are on-bench to increase the clarity and understanding of this procedure. This is a generic procedure and does not account for minor variations between models.

DTC P0711, P0712, and P0713 can be set due to a faulty PCM, an open circuit, or a bad transaxle oil temperature sensor. When either of these codes is set, the default value for the transaxle oil temperature sensor is 176°F (80° C). Prior to replacing the temperature sensor, perform a component and wire harness inspection as shown in the KGIS DTC diagnostics. Only proceed with sensor R&R after confirming proper connections, circuits, and PCM simulation checks.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the "sporty-ness" of the transmission.

That reminds me though, when there are hard upshifts, there are also hard downshifts when slowing.

·
KDMnation Chicago
769 Posts
Where did you find this TSB?

·
Registered
41 Posts
On my SX when using the paddle shifters and I am full throttle it skips second gear or so it says on the dash screen. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
998 Posts
On my SX when using the paddle shifters and I am full throttle it skips second gear or so it says on the dash screen. Has anyone else had this problem?
You are waiting too long to shift so it does it for you and then you shift too at the same time and end up skipping a gear. That is why I don't use the paddle shifters! Always happens to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for posting this. The jerking shifts in my '12 SX just appeared this morning and the CEL lit up on the next start. I'll be taking this info with me to the dealer in the A.M.

UPDATE: this is exactly what the problem was. Code thrown was P0713 and it took about 1.5 hours to replace the sensor. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
For those complaining about the "sporty" shifts... you can have them reprogram it. My SA (service advisor) informed me there are 3 programmed modes for the 2012-current 2.0T cars. Not sure about 2.4's. They are sport, easy, and something else. I'll check with him again as mine is going in for it's first oil change. Our 2011 which had no programmable options used to coast FOREVER... the wife loved it. Me, being used to BMW's, was kinda meh about it. But I loved the MPGs I could get with it. The 2013 gets at least 2mpg less than the 2011.

Just FYI. I'll see if I can get more info about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got my 10 month old, 2013 Optima SX back from dealer service. Had a couple of run ins with some rough/clunky shifting then the engine light lit up a couple days ago. Immediately took the car to the dealer where they had to replace the trans oil temp sensor. Not a big deal, but a bit frustrating to have a repair done so early.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One year later update...

I had just over 9000 miles on the car when the sensor failed. I am now over 34k miles, so about 25k miles on the new sensor and have not had any issues with it since.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had the herky jerky shifting issue since day one with my 2012 EX Turbo. It is exactly as described in the first post. Once the engine/transmission warms up it seems to go away. of course it is much worse in the winter.

I took it back to the dealer a couple of times early on for the problem but since a warning light has never come on there was nothing they could do, or so they told me. I now have just over 14k miles and still have never seen a warning light. Will they do the repair without an indicator light/trouble code to confirm that a problem exists?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That depends on the dealer I guess. Since this is just a TSB and not recall, they are supposed to have to "reproduce the issue," but some dealers will be a bit more proactive. You could take in the TSB, as well as a printout of this thread and see what they say. Though, it kind of sounds like this won't work since you've already taken it in.

Otherwise, if you are close to the dealer and could drop it there for them to be able check it first thing in the morning before the engine/oil temp has warmed up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I took the car in the first time for the shifting problem shortly after I bought it in Jan. 2012. I don't think the TSB was out at that point. Of course they didn't call when it did come out.

I will be calling them to see if something can be done.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.