Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
That's why I was thinking of using the parking light signal instead of the acc, at least there is some control to prevent unwanted battery drain.
Making it so the fogs could only come on with parking light/foglight? not a bad idea, I guess. I usually always drive with at least parking lights on, ever since I put in the switchbacks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Making it so the fogs could only come on with parking light/foglight? not a bad idea, I guess. I usually always drive with at least parking lights on, ever since I put in the switchbacks.
I'll do it if you do!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well, that makes the stock switch basically not in use, since it will turn on with parking light... i think the original "intention" is the foglight anytime mod can be switched on eventhough without parking lights, well, its ur car, u can do anything, share with us.. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
well, basically, since this is electrical stuff, i have alot of experience in it..

to make your stalk switch still operate, u need to find a wiring diagram for the stalk switch, where is the incoming and outgoing..

incoming - easy to get
outgoing cable - need a proper wiring diagram to be able to hack it..

since i am at work, if someone can provide full dash wiring or stalk switch wiring or even the whole steering/dash wiring diagram, i may able to pinpoint which cable to hack, and tapped into..also i might do a write up on how to do it... "ONLY" if anyone can provide the wiring diagram

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
IIRC the stalk only works when the headlights are 'on'...

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Yeah, and that's what worries me. I would even be happy with wiring the stalk to turn on the fogs with parking lights instead of headlights only.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
well, basically, since this is electrical stuff, i have alot of experience in it..

to make your stalk switch still operate, u need to find a wiring diagram for the stalk switch, where is the incoming and outgoing..

incoming - easy to get
outgoing cable - need a proper wiring diagram to be able to hack it..

since i am at work, if someone can provide full dash wiring or stalk switch wiring or even the whole steering/dash wiring diagram, i may able to pinpoint which cable to hack, and tapped into..also i might do a write up on how to do it... "ONLY" if anyone can provide the wiring diagram
Anybody have the wiring diagram?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
28 Posts
So has anyone figured this out with the use of the "stalk" so fogs can be on with the LED DRL's without headlights and without fogs needing to be on ALL the time?

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
It seems to me that using the wire that shows ground when the factory switch is turned on, as your ground for pin 85 on your relay would achieve this, provided the ground closes whenever the fog switch is flipped. IIRC, the ground for the switch is activated without the headlights being on, while the positive is activated only when the headlights are on. I could be wrong here. It's been a couple years since I messed with that part of the wiring.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
38 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia SWP Optima
54 Posts
Check out my post here: http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/66-diy-audio-navigation-electronics/753-oem-fog-lamp-project-new-multiswitch-install.html#post1685890

This shows how to install the fog light switch in a car that didn't come with one. You could do the opposite and just remove the factory connections and use the switch for whatever you want. IIRC its just a simple SPST switch isolated from everything else.
From following this forum and this tread, this (simple separate toggle switch ) seems to be the most easy and efficient way of doing this mod. The only thing I would improve on, is that I would run the power wire into the cabin and connect it to the radio fuse ( or similar ), that way you can toggle the fog lights on and off as you wish when the car ( radio ) is on, but you cut the power to them once the car is off, eliminating the chance of forgetting to turn them off and draining the battery (if they are connected to a constant power source like the battery). This is my to do mod, once the Canadian spring arrives.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts