Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
requested by some member in this forum

Tools needed:-
- Philips screwdriver
- flathead screwdriver
- 8mm and 10mm socket
- a relay with harnesses (equipped with 30A fuse)
- side cutter
- insulation tape
- cable ties
- time
- drinks
- pack of cigarette

first, bumper removal

locate the 8mm screw at the wheel arch, holding the bumper with the fender, its at 2 oclock on the wheel arch as pic below

remove both sides passenger and driver,

next if you have the headlamp washer nozzle, remove the cover by prying it on one of the leg clip, it would be easy

then remove the intake funnel, there is 2 x 10mm bolt holding it

then remove 6 screwlock retaining clip of the top bumper cover

remove 2 bolts holding the top bumper one on driver and one on passenger side, just beside the retaining hinge

push the bumper and lift the top a little bit to take out from the retaining hinge

remove 3 screw lock clip just at each side of the fender liner underneath the foglamp

remove 4 screw lock clip and 1 10mm bolt holding the middle part of the bumper (sorry didnt take this pic)

and you are ready to go, recommended to have a assistant to pull, but i manage to do it alone, so i bet you guys can do it

pull starting from the side bumper, pull it outwards, first timer may found it hard, but if you know how to do it, its easy, pull it out till the bumper loosen from the metal clip underneath the headlamp, same goes to the other side, pull it outwards, then the bumper should be out already, remember before pulling it all out, disconnect the DRL socket (if equipped) but its the same socket as the foglamp also.

should look like this

and... i found a treasure...

then..

start with a relay

take a cable, run it through the firewall, insert it to the fusebox underneath the steering wheel, find "acc" on the fusebox cover, pull out the fuse, strip the wire just by and inch, insert it through one side of the fuse leg, put back the fuse...it should give a signal and connect it to pin 86

connect pin 85 to ground (not negative battery terminal) find a good spot without paint (i connect it to the ground of the DRL connector, strip it a little bit, wrap around and tape it

pin 30 to the battery terminal inside the fusebox on the engine bay or at the positive battery terminal..

then locate the socket for the foglights..

there should be 2 wires, light red and black, connect both side of the fog lamp to pin 87 let the black cable (ground intact)

connect the foglamp socket back to the foglamp bulb

relocating everything is in reverse order of bumper removal,

before you put back your bumper, test it first, if you turn your key to acc, fog lamp should lit up instantly

thanks... sorry if i made a mistake in typing and my language

just for viewing, this is my ride with 6000k bulbswapped lowbeam (oem hid equipped), 6000k fogs with relay harness and dual projector angel eyes

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,238 Posts
This is a great write up and something needed to be done for quite some time.

Thank you for taking your time to put this together for the community.

I will use this to refer members that ask us about this as well. :thumbsup:

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,136 Posts
So this makes the stock switch work as designed, but they come on with ACC?
Same question as Munky.......Won't this make fogs be on all the time car is "ON" (ACC).......regardless of whether the fog light stalk switch is turned on or off ?.....or will fogs still turn off by stalk switch ?

·
Registered
2014 optima 2014 Optima SX
84 Posts
With this you are bypassing stalk and using the relay to send power directly to the fogs, they will be on anytime "ACC" is on or what ever you choose to wire pin 86 too.

"Off topic" Julio where did you get those headlights?

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
In a perfect world, I would want the stalk to still work, but be able to turn them on anytime. I guess that isn't possible without the different stalk.

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,136 Posts
With this you are bypassing stalk and using the relay to send power directly to the fogs, they will be on anytime "ACC" is on or what ever you choose to wire pin 86 too.

I retrofitted morimoto projectors and demon eyes in them myself after "baking" them open. Also changed out the side reflectors with some LED's from Exled......Once you get the nerve up to put your $400 dollar headlights in the oven and then prize them apart.....its not too difficult a job...but does take some time to get everything just right.....I bought an old used light off Ebay and "practiced" on that first.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

So, could you then connect pin "86" to the factory switch "on" feed and have that trigger the relay ?

·
08/2015 ROTM
2015 Kia Optima
430 Posts
As stated before in another post, all he's doing here is removing the switch from the stalk to a toggle switch. I would assume that he can't turn his fogs on without turning something else on with it, like his headlights. So his way would allow you to turn just the fogs on without anything else.
If it were me, I would of wired it so they can come with the switch or the stalk, but here he has re-routed the main wire to only work with the switch...

·
Registered
2014 optima 2014 Optima SX
84 Posts
You can drop a switch in between pin 86 and "ACC" or whatever you choose to hack into and when the "switch" is in off position the stalk should work as normal. So in this set up power to "pin 86" triggers the relay lighting the fogs. I think tapping the headlight power like miglo suggests is a good option. You could just run a wire from headlight 12+ to fog 12+ and also use this relay so you could have it both ways. On when car gets power or pwhen switch is off switch they kick on when headlights are turned on, so you don't have to ever touch stalk. but you would lose stalk function this way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jpness57 explains everything

theres a member requesting of "how" to make fogs as drl, so by tapping pin 86 to acc, it will be drl

at the pic of the foglight connector, sorry about all the tapes, at my point finger, theres a light red wire, which in my picture tapped with blue wire, that to be connected with pin 87 if you want it to be
DRL

splicing the light red wire will change the circuit in two ways,

1) incoming from the stock harness from the computer module (or fog lamp fuse)
2) outgoing to the bulb

in this write up, incoming from option 1 is not used, therefore from the relay, pin 87 is outgoing source, to be connected to option 2, therefore the fogs are powered up directly from the relay, which is full power from the battery, it will add brightness

but if you want more brightness with stock switch, after you splice it into two, take option 1, which is the wire from the fusebox and connect it to pin 86 instead of pulling wire from the acc, then pin 87 remains the same which is to be connected to both outgoing wires to the foglamp bulbs. remember to splice both side, or else, you will be sending power back to the fuse, and eventually "might" fry the control module or the fuse.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

for hid installation with harness, this can be used, but slightly different way.

at the fog connector part, strip open the light red wire to expose the wire cores inside, tap a wire and connect it to pin 86,

take a wire, connect from pin 87 to positive side of ballast to both side

negative can be connected directly to the negative of the fog connector (i found this is the best way because, my friend had trouble when he only connect it to one of the bolts, due to paint and stuffs, it doesnt have good continuity to the ground, so the fog negative wire is "confirmed" to have best continuity to the ground.

this method still use the stock switch to power up the hid

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Very Nice!!!! You even made taking off the bumper sound simple. :)
been taking of bumpers for most of my k5 members here in my country, i do most of wirings for them, also taking off bumpers can make use of removing the chrome grille, and if you want to spray it, separating them is the best method to spraypaint the chrome trim. theres a time i removed 5 bumpers on single day, including the facelift model. its a piece of cake for me :D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I guess rather than using an acc fuse, you could use a parking lamp fuse so they come on that way?

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
I'm going to attempt to find out which wire coming from the stalk turns on the fogs, so I can tap into that for the signal on pin 87. That way everything will work with the stock switch, but they don't need the headlights on.

·
Registered
2013 K5
637 Posts
I'm going to attempt to find out which wire coming from the stalk turns on the fogs, so I can tap into that for the signal on pin 87. That way everything will work with the stock switch, but they don't need the headlights on.
Very interested in doing this Munky, let us know how you make out!!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont think its possible, stock switch needs first turn (dim light) to get the fogs to on, unless u hack the stock switch harness, to get an independent 12v supply whenever u needed it...i can think of something, but to build it, i have no time...

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
i dont think its possible, stock switch needs first turn (dim light) to get the fogs to on, unless u hack the stock switch harness, to get an independent 12v supply whenever u needed it...i can think of something, but to build it, i have no time...
So the stock switch won't sent a signal unless the headlight switch is out of the off position? I wanted to try and find it with a multimeter and see if the wire coming from it gives any sort of signal at all, even with the headlights off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the stock switch won't sent a signal unless the headlight switch is out of the off position? I wanted to try and find it with a multimeter and see if the wire coming from it gives any sort of signal at all, even with the headlights off.

it wont send a signal, it only "activate on standby mode" when the dim light is on (first turn) and waiting to be turned on (stock fog switch) to make a contact to give 12v supply to foglights..

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That's why I was thinking of using the parking light signal instead of the acc, at least there is some control to prevent unwanted battery drain.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts